Canine Bloat

Christine Animal

We just lost a little dog to canine bloat, a ten year old Pinscher.  She seemed fine in the evening and ate well (she was very greedy).  We found her lying in her bed in the morning and she had only just died, with an enormous swollen stomach.  I have seen bloat before and know the usual signs, but here there didn't seem to be any (though we don't know what went on in the night), no visible sign of dribbling or being sick beforehand.  I have asked different vets in the past about the causes, but they all seem to say that noone really knows.  There seem to be different things that can bring it on.

You tend to think of large breeds having bloat, but I see the Doberman Pinscher is on the list of breeds on this site:

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

They say a couple of things I don't quite understand (on the above site) such as not to feed in elevated bowls, which is often done to help larger breeds, and to give a high protein diet of around 30% which seems rather high.

I just thought I would post this as a reminder to be aware of this awful risk to dogs, especially if they have already had bloat.  We once saved one, or rather the vet did, late one night and he fixed the stomach so it couldn't turn again.  I think he lasted about a year, we were very careful with his food giving him several small meals a day, before having another attack of it when we lost him.

Chris so sorry to hear you lost one of your dogs its heart breaking isnt it (((((hug)))))x

I have never heard of this bloat , is it the same thing as twisted gut ?

Our dog likes to eat tomuch in one go so we now feed her small bits often rather than one or 2 larger meals each day , the plus side is that it has also helped to keep her weight down aswell

Thank you Pads.  Yes, I think it's the same as twisted gut.  As far as I understand, the stomach swells, but then it can also twist.  That's why when the vets operate they often fix the stomach so that it can't turn/twist (torsion in French in case anyone needs to know).

Having so many, especially oldies, we do of course have to lose them.  But this is so sudden and unexpected that you are not prepared for it.

Sorry to hear of your sad news. I always thought that the twisted or turned gut

was due to exercise after a meal. When I took my dog to agility classes, the trainers were

most insistent that the dogs exercised on an empty stomach.

Audio I always thought they said that to stop having dogs poo all over the nice clean hall floor !!!! But your right I also have heard that but I expect that is just one of many reasons that can cause it.

When I had my very first dog I use to panic each time it rolled about on its back after eating as I was sure it woul be bad for it... thankfully it survied that and 101 other worries I had for it to a ripe old age ( first mother sydrome I think its called!!)

Pads, the 101 other worries I know only too well, there is always something. The vets this morning 76€ and another visit next week for a minor op. est. 110€ but he is family and needs to be looked after.

Incidentally, the classes were outside in a muddy field so I don't suppose they were worried about poo on the floor.

Oh Christine - so very sorry to hear your sad news!  How heart-breaking!!!

We had a rescued English Setter, our first dog, and (as novices!) were advised to only give her 3 smaller meals a day rather than one big one as this breed is prone to a twisted gut/bloat.  She occasionally had an upset tum even so, with much bubbling and gurgling, but managed to avoid something this horrible.  All our dogs have since been fed 3 smaller meals a day, regardless of breed.  They seem quite happy with that as it gives them lots to look forward to in a day, if nothing else!! 

Worth reminding people to be vigilant.  Thanks for that.

Jouals

Christine I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. We lost a young labrador to bloat/twisted gut, he was just 1 year old. He used to gulp his food down as fast a possible which, I understood, is one of the problems as they gulp air in at the same time which allows the stomach to turn. I thought at first he was just a bit off colour, but by the evening realised his stomach was looking distended so decided to take him to the vet the next morning. Unfortunately I found him dead in the morning; but the vet told me it was unlikely they could have done anything for him as the operation is usually less than 50/50 successful - and would have cost several thousand euros, which we couldn't have afforded.

Before this happened to us I had no idea about it, and felt so guilty for letting our poor boy suffer that day as he must have done instead of having him PTS. I was told it was better to elevate their feed bowls, which I do now.