New home needed for 7yr old french pointer, Verso

Jane

Hi

We really need to find a welcoming and kind home for one of our 2 male french pointers. Tension has been building between them for some time, and we've been trying to deal with it but it's now at the point where we've had to divide up the house and keep them apart at all times, which isn't a happy solution for any of us.

He's a big softie at home, and loves to cuddle up whenever possible, but also loves to be outdoors and run and run and run!

Please get in touch if you can help. He's fully vaccinated and tatooed and we'll willingly travel to find him a good home

Hi there, no they're not. By the time we realised we had a potential problem they were well into their middle years. I then did a lot of research on the subject and couldn't find conclusive evidence for it having a positive effect that late in their life.

For the last 2 years we've been following Jan Fennell's "amichien" (dog listenening) techniques with a registered trainer and made a lot of progress, but with changing family situations recently, it's got a lot worse and we just don't have the time needed to correct this problem with these methods.

All I know from experience with many dogs is that that the only trouble we ever have is with those not neutered.  So it certainly does make a difference.

I don't know anything about the method you have been working at, but recent changes seem to have unsettled them. Were they separated at some point, that can start them off?  Have you tried taking them both for a walk together on neutral ground, completely ignoring them as if they are not there, except to keep them near you of course.  Then get home and do exactly the same, never bother with either of them, no fuss at all.  If one comes to you for fuss, just walk away without saying anything or making an issue of it.  Try to treat them as if they don't exist for a while.  They have to be completely on the same level.  Be even harder with the most dominant until they have nothing to go at each other about, no jealousy, nothing except being the same and below you.

You can send me a photo if you like and I'll post it on here (my email is on our site below).  You will need to say where you are, if they are okay with other dogs, children, cats, etc.

Both of mine were neutered from a young age and there was six years difference in age between them but it didn't stop the younger one challenging the older one at every opportunity in the end.

We tried everything to keep them both but after consulting a pet therapist there was only one thing we could do and that was to separate them.

I really hope you can get a new home for Verso where he will be happier.