Camping with Dogs

Anne G

Morning everyone. We have recently bought a camper van and are planning on travelling around France with our two dogs.

Can anyone advise if camp sites actually ask to see the dogs vaccination certificates when you are staying with them

Thanks

Anne

We have travelled in France and several EU countries with our dog. We always had all the paperwork with us, just in case we were asked. I actually cannot remember if we were or not, as it wouldn't have been a problem.

Take it all with you. Not everywhere takes animals though, that may be more of a problem.

We travel extensively in France with our two and have never had to produce documents.  But essential to have them with you.  Do you live in France?  If not please take great care to make sure your dogs are as protected as much as possible against ticks.  Big problem here especially in the south.  Have fun!  We love it and so do our dogs!  Can recommend some excellent dog friendly sites if interested.

Yes, I live in SW France in the Tarn et Garonne and we have huge amounts of ticks. I use garlic to protect my dogs and it has worked brilliantly for the last 7 years.

Both of mine are allergic to the Scalibor collars that protect against sand flies and I have never needed to use the spot on treatments against fleas and ticks because of the garlic.

PLEASE, PLEASE SEND SOME RECOMMENDATIONS FOR GOOD DOG SITES WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED

If you have a campervan, why stay on campsites?

Aires are designed for motorhomes, have all you need (IMHO), enjoy better locations, are cheaper if not free - and nobody's going to want to see your doggies' vaccination certificates.

And France Passion stopovers are even better in all of those respects.

Some aires have hookups, some don't, some you can hook up for the length of your stay for free, some you can hook up but you have to pay, best is to buy an Aires guide and it will list exactly what is provided at each aire. Quite often there is a coin operated hookup point where you can plug in for 20mins or so to recharge your battery.

France Passion is a superb scheme: http://www.france-passion.com/gb_formule.php?PHPSESSID=c4a4a4c42a78e778a40ac3e1ef7aa18c

Thank you so much EuroTrash, I have just joined France Passion as we agree with you, it is a wonderful scheme.

Will also go out and buy a proper Aires guide - we have a map but it doesn't give much information.

Thank you for your help - as you can tell we are newbies to camping in France. Did a lot in England but not much overseas as at the time we had a huge American RV