right to education?

Andrew

We are selling up and moving to France, probably staying in and renovating a friends vacant home for a few months until we find the property we want with enough space to provide a family home plus some level of rental income.

Will our 3 children be entitled to attend local french schools once we arrive, they will be 6years 12years and 3 years old,or do we need a carte de sejour in order to establish our residence for them to do so? I understand to get carte, proof from a french bank that we have suffient funds is enough. We plan to put our UK house sale proceeds into a french bank account to cover this. Am I being niave in thinking this will be sufficient to assure the authorities that we aren't coming to bludge?

Andrew

Depends on where you live in a lot of cases. Normally the authorities want to see a regular monthly income and also you will need to provide proof that you have sufficient health cover especially with young children. I would strongly suggest you visit the main prefecture (bureau des etrangrs) and ask what exactly you will need to furnish in the way of documentation etc because eventually all through the children's education you will be continually asked for your Securit Sociale no and insurances. So many on this forum have had different experiences depending on their dept and also their circumstances which is why I would get it straight from the people who deal with this.

I didn't need a carte de sejour when I registered my 3 girls, I just filled out the registration forms. They may request a letter from the english school to state what they are currently doing and their level. My primary school helpfully translated this into french for me. You would need to go to your Mairie to find out which schools are their catchment area and you will normally be entitled to free travel to and from that school. My daughter is picked up at 8.20am and dropped to the door at 5pm. However the bus for my older daughter leaves from a village about 10 minutes drive away and we have to get her there for 7am when it leaves - or drive the 30 minute trip down the hill to her school for 8am.

You will need to school insurance though, and to cover them for sporting activities, and I had to provide proof of innoculations including BCG.

Hope this helps
Beth

We needed nothing more than his (3 yrs) passport for the local school to photocopy and sight of his NHS "red book". Didn't even want our signatures, they asked us to write his name in the register because the couldn't get their heads around a boy called "Daniel" rather than "Danielle".

French schools are IMHO so much better than UK ones. Sweeping generalisation I know, but that is my experience. Sorry.

Have posted something along these lines in the Western France forum (for some obscure reason).

Nick
http://www.aplaceinfrance.com