BCG for school enrolment

Bud

We have been told that our daughter (7) has to have the BCG jab a.s.a.p for school enrolment, where would we go for this? would this be possible to do with an E111 form? or do we need to do this privately?.

Anyone have any experience of this? any advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

BUD

My son is 9, in French school, and last year a nurse came to the school to do the scratch test on all the children to check for imunity. My son hadn't had his BCG in UK because just before we moved over the vaccines had been recalled and so there were non available. However, he did show some immunity, possibly because we was breast-fed for 11 months and picked up the immunity from me. The nurse will return sometime this coming year, to the school to re-test him. My nearly 6 year old hasn't been tested/immunised yet. They were asked when we registered at the schools and we were told they should get their immunisations done soon, but we have not persued it. My son will get the retest this year and I believe that my younger will have hers done when she goes to primaire next september.

This topic has been covered fairly recently, if you do a search, I seem to remember it had an awful lot of replies.

>We have been told that our
>daughter (7) has to have
>the BCG jab a.s.a.p for
>school enrolment, where would we
>go for this?

To your local GP who will give you a prescription for the vaccine which then has to purchased at the pharmacy.

would this
>be possible to do with
>an E111 form?

No, as it is not an emergency

or do
>we need to do this
>privately?.

Yes.

>
>Anyone have any experience of this?
>any advice appreciated.
>Thanks in advance.

I've just gone through this. I called the doctor who then left a prescription out for me for Monovax, which costs 5,56. I then went back to see him, as the children were free of other bugs, and had them vaccinated. Monovax is applied to the skin on the inside of the upper arm and then the doctor presses the spot firmly 2 or 3 times with a little gadget in order to just pierce the skin a bit. Your daughter will probably not like this very much but it is better than an injection.
The only other thing I had to pay was the visit which was 20, so all in all, it didn't break the bank!
Funnily enough, I never had to do this for the school but for the creche I've booked the children into during our skiing holidays.

Regards,
Christiane

Your local Socio Mdico centre will do a jab for free. Our local office holds a clinic for ALL jabs the second wednesday of each month. Check with your local paper at weekends for the next session and just go along.They will also give a Carnet de Sant for the children for future use at school. Take your paperwork with you so they can register you. I found this system to be much better than having to go and get a prescription to then get a syringe and then get someone to administer it, although now my qualified nurse friend who has just retired from running the clinic at our local socio mdico has offered to do jabs for us.

>We have been told that our
>daughter (7) has to have
>the BCG jab a.s.a.p for
>school enrolment, where would we
>go for this? would this
>be possible to do with
>an E111 form? or do
>we need to do this
>privately?.
>
>Anyone have any experience of this?
>any advice appreciated.
>Thanks in advance.
>
>BUD

Hi
Please see below my reply to a previous question re the same subject. Our daughter had the BCG and Polio booster done free of charge at the local Medico Sociale. They were excellent and the doctor was very caring. So no charge and we were given a Carnet de Vaccinations, into which the doctor copied her previous vaccinations (done in the UK) along with the BCG and Polio Booster.
Anna (104 posts)
02-Feb-03, 11:07 AM (GMT)
3. "RE: Vaccinations"
Hi
My daughter, nearly 12, has been told to have her BCG and booster Poilio done by her school here in France. I took the advice of the person who wrote in (think it is under the Free Jabs heading)saying that this could be done free by the Medico Sociale. I phoned (I should admit my now fluent 12yr old daughter phoned!)our local hospital in Riberac who gave us the number to phone. Upshot is that she has an appointment in her February holidays to have the Bcg and Poilio Booster done. They confimed that this would be done free of charge and she does not need her Carnet de Sante. She may be given one of these when she goes. Also, we do not have our Cartes. We did bring a note from our UK doctor's surgery showing a list of the jabs she has had and her school did ask for this.
Also, all the children in the first year of college have had a medical by the school nurse and have been issued with forms where necessary to be filled in by a dentist and optician, who directed us to the correct place for eye tests and the waiting list here is so long that the first appointment we could get is April!