Education Smiles

Alm Unclehiedi

Hi

Accepting all have different experiences.........'phoned the local school on Monday to make appointment - see headmaster next morn. - start next morn.

Twelve year old - armed with electronic translator (£10 Boots) - plus willingness to try..........prev. experience UK state school primary (oh dear!) - moved out age 9 - 2 year Prep. school, 1 year UK state Grammar.

Childs view of French school:  Teachers: fab. can, but do not speak english to you - make no exceptions so you do not feel different - let you join in tests and lessons anytime you feel able, let you off when you do not.  'No Miss or Mr Popular that you have to suck up to or be a loser'.  Lots of free periods to do your homework in.  Different sport every lesson so you don't get stuck with whole term of rounders or netball.  No vending so no money needed or temptation to buy junk food/drinks because others do.  Bus good way to meet local kids.  Maths is maths - in any language and so is Alex. the Great, science, topics or Geography(the atlas does not change because it is in French!) most topics have been started in Brit. schools so can see the follow on.  Long four days but worth it for 11.30 Wed. finish and all the odd days off for the most obscure reasons!

Parents View of French School:  You get all the texts books up front so when the kids are in bed you can insert photo copies/scans of each topic in English - child can use this to latch onto what the teacher is saying and how to say it in French.  Well into second term and child is exceptionally happy therefore so are parents.  Odd sending them off to school in 'street clothes', make-up and jewellary after english system  but can see how it helps them express their own individualism and if you swallow and do not comment they soon reign themselves in.  Regular testing and parents signing test scores means you can keep an eye on the child hovering around its natural ability -  not expecting French teachers to alter our childs IQ rating! and expecting a small dip when language is an issue - we have not been disappointed  in achievement.

One thing I have noticed in a few English parents in the school is that they can (and often do!) have a 'moan' about the most triveal issues and I wonder how this translates to their child ie shows them the way to making excuse lists!

Anyhow, the thunderstorm that woke me has now past - so back to bed - hope this posting is of help to those wondering if Franch Education is right for their child.    

Heidi,

Thank you for posting this - I think this will be useful to some of people and it is clear you are taking an active interest in the education of your child and probably not because they are being taught in another language.

I just want to say that do take a broader view after your childs' first year and for now this is a good start for your child and your support is wonderful.

Deby

Hi

Thanks for your response.

Something we have both found useful which others might also (for an explanation of a topic in English or  if they think at some point they may return to the UK) is the 'English Curriculum' -  CGP 'Key Stage' Study Books  - you can buy them in W H Smiths or prob. on Amazon.  They come in Key Stage 2: 7 - 11 year olds Key Stage 3: 11 - 14 etc.  in Maths, English and Literacy Hour, Science etc. and cost £4.50 each so are useful for all age groups. They explain in fun terms 'how to' and give small exercises also. 

On a related thread - the subject of 'drop out' is mentioned along with someone saying maybe they could be accused of 'going of thread'.......I would just like to comment that being familiar with UK Uni. my experience was that in first term class of 90 was cut to 40 by Xmas and 38 by end of first year - only 24 stayed the course and graduated.  Most found the culture shock of 'freedom' (no register) (finding info. from library etc.) to study at own choosing and teaching methods very hard to adjust to.  Others found being away from home a prob. others had simply chosen the wrong course - the good news is that many re-enter Uni. the following year armed with the experience of 'drop-out' and complete courses successfully.  This is also an accepted fact by Further Ed. Centres - so they always plan for such and are always willing to enrol students for a second time.

As an after thought - culture shock!  Biology practical tomorrow - not a happy experience for a 'squirmish' child -  is on .........yes you have guessed it a Frog - wonder if they are any less gruesome to perform on then the frozen Rats we were presented with! 

Alm Uncle

Just out of interest, how many children are there in the collège your son has joined?

And at age 12, he's in 5eme, is that right?

Just wondering, because my son (just started 6eme) has always had to do controles along with all the others, there's no opting out for any reason, and the marking takes no account of origin.  And there IS a snack shop in this collège, but he's not motivated to spend his break fighting in the non-queueing melée to spend 50 centimes on a pain au choc!

HI

5eme - there are 3 5eme ........so would guess at around 400?

Glad no tuck shop though with a 'soft tooth' for choc. pain.......would queue for hours!

Did not mean to imply scores adjusted for any reason - just that when enrolled in 6eme she did not have to join in with them in the beginning - although  did in English Lang. (of course) and maths - until had been there at the beginning of a topic say in Geog. or Hist.   Must just say that at the end of term when they were deciding on who goes up - or not - there was concern expressed by one teacher on whether French up to 5eme - it must have been a 'staff room' debate that some did not agree with -  the only reason I can think of for the English teacher giving  21/20 to pull up the term average!!! 

Hope your son settles well.  The switch from Prim. to Sec. in Uk can be very unsettling, I found, without the Language issue.

How common is it for children to be put back a year when they start? Have children 13 & 10, both bright but although they have a small understanding of the language and 3 months for me to teach them the basics before we move their knowledge will be limited.  Neither mind moving to France, in fact they see it as a challenge and are convinced they will pick things up ok.  However being put back a year is something the 13 year old does not want to have to do.

Comments appreciated.

Merci!

In this 6eme there are 8 classes of at least 25 each, so overall possibly double the size of where you are.

He's settled in well, although it's true what (French) people have said about 6eme, that they don't learn much that's new, just a new way of learning.   Unfortunately, it means he's already getting bored in quite a few classes .  Those of you who have been through it, is this normal?

Because he's anglophone, he's not allowed to do English, but that's just as well, because the level is, ummm, somewhat basic!    

I'm looking forward to the dissection next year.       

[quote]How common is it for children to be put back a year when they start? Have children 13 & 10, both bright but although they have a small understanding of the language and 3 months for me to teach th...[/quote]

Redoubler.  It happens.  It's not ideal, but it's not exceptional like it is in the UK, there's not the same "shame" attached to it.

Age 13, you're talking about following French grammar, Maths, History, Science, Techno, all in French.  Some schools provide help for non-French speakers, some don't, some say they do but don't.  Gallic shrug .

My son's class of 26 has two who have sauté'd a year, and 3 who have redoublé.