Complications if it's not my child?

Penny29

Hi All,

Hoping that someone will be my email "buddy" and guide me through the school enrolment process etc.

Being mid 40's and gay this was NOT a question I ever expected to pose on here! But our niece, aged 7 (very determined and strong minded) has decided she wants to come and live with us in France for a year while her Mum spends the next 12 months studying to qualify as a teacher in the UK.

This is not a flash in the pan decision, my sister-in-law was in the process of organising a move to France & had a job lined up here, then she decided to follow the UK teaching route instead, so our niece has been expecting to move here for months now. Ella doesn't want to give up the opportunity to live in France and learn French so she has announced her intention of cming to live with us.

We've said we'll look into it & will of course, start at the local Mairie, but can anyone foresee any potential problems that we will run into, given French bureaucracy and the fact that we are not the legal parents of the child. Apart from the Mairie, can anyone think of other bodies whom we need to consult with?

Any advice most gratefully received!!! Am about to start reading every single post on this thread now in the hope of picking up the basics about the French eductaion system etc.

Thanks in advance

Penny

I cant help you with schooling, but you will need a letter from her parent to say that you are her guardian while she is with you in france and that you have permission to take her out of the country, and that you have the parents permission to O.K.any medical treatment.

While we were fostering we had to have a letter from the parent and written permission from social services.

I would advise you to have this done legally by a solicited, and have a letter from the parent. you will probably not need them, but it is better to be safe.

tricia beard 86

All school paperwork asks for signatures from parents ou résponsable legal. I agree with Patter that having some sort of legally written document would be the best thing and I would srtongly suggest getting it done in France (if your SIL could come over and do it) It might be a good idea to get in touch with the British embassy to see if they have any suggestions.

In official situations, you should refer to yourself as her tutrice

• 3 weeks later...

It used to be the case that if the father was not married to the child's mother, he did not automatically get 'parental responsibility' but had to obtain it. 

I am aware that there was some talk on changing this, has this now happened?