Storm Damage!

Hi, unfortunately during the high winds in northern France last week, our house along with every other house in the village, has suffered some damage. We do have insurance on the property but have not read the small print and so we do not know if we're covered!(we're pretty certain we are). Still waiting to hear from our French friends to let us know, they hold the documents for us incase of times like this. We would like to know if anyone else has had anything similar happen in the past and if so what the outcome was, was it easy to get the claim dealt with and finally, how long did it take to sort out?

Sheila & Pete

[quote]Hi, unfortunately during the high winds in northern France last week, our house along with every other house in the village, has suffered some damage. We do have insurance on the property but have not...[/quote]

Although you don't say what the damage actually is, most insurance companies will cover your for storm damage to buildings.

I am on my way this morning to do a Devis for some roofing damage due to last weeks storms. Some insurance companies ask for a devis from a registered artisan, (as in this instance) whilst others seem to give the go ahead for repairs and ask the client to send in the bill afterwards.This is often the case where repairs are urgent and the insurance companies have worked with the artisan before, or don't have the resources to send out an assessor.

As each company has it's own procedure (which may vary even from dept to dept), and every policy is different, you would be best advised to contact your insurance company without further delay and they will advise you. We have found the longer you delay, the harder it is to claim.

Paul

Hi

On Europe 1 on Friday they were saying you have to make your declaration within five days of the accident, and that because it was a natural disaster it would be covered.  I don't know how they came up with such a generalisation, but it was on their 6.00pm bulletin, so I imagine they checked their facts!

Jane

Winds force 9 and above are termed storm force and are recorded locally all over france,if indeed the winds are storm force the insurance will pay out if one is insured,but they may look for contributing factors when assessing the damage.

Thanks for all the info and advice.

The damage was to the roof and luckily we're covered!(not as much as we were before the storm cos a lot of the tiles are missing now!! my attempt at humour!

Our friends in France filled the relevant forms in last Monday and so we now have to get an estimate from a French company for the repairs. If the damage is less than 450 euros we just have to get it done and recover the money from the insurance company. If more than 450 euros(which we think it will be) we have to have an assessor come out to check.

Once again, thanks to everyone who replied.

Sheila & Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi group,

First of all we'd like to wish everyone a very peaceful new year.

We just wanted to give you an update on our roof problem:

The damage is as we thought it would be....over 450 euros.

An assessor is coming out to have a look at the damage so hopefully we will have it repaired soon.

From what we can gather, the insurance companies have responded really well to the damage caused by those freak winds.

Best Wishes to everyone. Our thoughts and prayers especially go to those who have been affected in some way by the terrible disaster in East Asia.

Sheila & Peter