pre-school orthez

lucy64

Hello - My husband and I are moving to a village just outside Orthez in November 2006 and are looking at pre-school options for our daughter.  She will be 3 years in December.  Obviously I will look at the local maternelles and am also thinking of visiting the Int school in Morlaas to see what that is like. But I wondered if anyone has children of that age attending any of the schools near Orthez and could let us know if they have found a  good one.  Does anyone know of any good children's groups or activities going on  around the area?  Thanks for any help/advice you can give...Lucy

I don't know of schools, but I was under the impression that children tend to go to the local school. If you wish to send her to another school under a different Marie, you need to explain to your Marie why !!!!  Surely in terms of building a group of friends she's better off going where the local children go?

We don't have to ask the Mairie or even tell them if we send our children to a private school. And as legal school age is only from the September of the full year the child is six, then it isn't any of their business before that either. ie the child mentioned in this thread will have to start school in September 2009.

All schools will register the child properly with the authorities no matter the age.

It would be different if one wanted to send one's child to a state school that is not local and then one would need a derogation.

Hello Windowman

Yes I agree that she would be best going where the local children go in order to make friends.  Our village doesn't have a maternelle and from what a French nieghbour told me the children from the 4 or 5 very tiny surrounding local villages go to one of  two nearby maternelles. One is very new.  Perhaps I have been wrongly informed and we will be expected to use one in particular.  I will go to the Mairie and ask on our next visit.  Having taught in International Schools for some years I would be interested to see what this one offers.  Why not get as much information as you can before making the decision?   Lucy64

I've found that the marie is keen to assist new people to the area and the reason I mentioned it was because I'm aware of someone who really upset her local marie because she didn't use the local school. But then again knowing her,  it could be more to do with her then the marie!!!! I'm sure your little girl will be as resiliant as most kids and get on well no matter  where you send her.  As the previous posting mentioned the hardwork doesn't kick in until they are 6!

Well, our local (privé) school has people coming from all over the

place, from as far as 30km away, so they obviously don't go to their

local school? In fact most of the children are from out of town.

I'm about 20km from Orthez by the way.  :)

• 3 weeks later...