a levels or equiv. for 18-19 yr old

debbie walker

I wonder why you would want her to do this; another two years of "A" levels seems a bit pointless. If she has changed career direction and now needs sciences for some kind of HE course, she might want to look at the foundation years offered by many universities. These enable students with arts "A" levels to spend a year bringing their sciences up to speed before starting the proper degree course. They also come under the HE funding umbrella. There are also degrees that would enable her to study French at post GCSE level as part of a wider course. If you would like to pm me with more information, perhaps I could help you further. I'm a qualified, practising Careers Adviser.

• 2 weeks later...
At 18 it's leaving it a bit late, but in some French lycée there are German students who come on a year long exchange through the Rotary club.  They generally come for their lower sixth year (première).  Coming and doing a year of terminal to get the bac, is, unfortunately, totally impossible as they do the exams over two years.

Both my two have done their french part of their BAC in première leaving their main chosen subjects for terminale. I wouldn't recommend any english children to start Lycée at 18 there is far too much to catch up on and points have already been started to be put in place for the overall BAC results plus in terminale you have to get your next educational establishment sorted out which for a total foreigner to the system at this late stage would be a nightmare to understand.and apply for without the relevent BAC pass first.

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou everyone for taking the time to reply,

putting my idea in writing and reading everyones replies has made me realize it was not such a good one.

It was very useful to learn about the science foundation course at Uni in the UK, and that my daughter could keep her options open for a lot longer,

Thankyou again very much.

Debbie Walker