French lessons for grown ups?

panne2004

Hi. We are moving to Pas de Calais in two months time. Does anybody know if there are evening/day classes for adults to learn the language? I have been learning here in England for two years now, so I can get by, but I am worrying that I will not be able to communicate with my son's teachers, doctor, dentist, etc. I have checked the french internet but there doesn't appear to be the same sort of adult education system that we have here. Thanks for your help

Welcome to the forum.

We have 2 choices locally, apart from getting a private tutor, or meeting up with a friend and chatting in both languages. The Universite Populaire (UP); which is very busy, runs many courses for which you are put into a group matching your ability. Ours seems epensive, even compared with groups in UK, where the cost went up enormouusly in recent years.They are run by qualified teachers, who generally run very structured courses.There's also Acceuil de Villes Francaises (AVF), which welcomes new residents to the town, whether they're French people who are moving to a new town, or people from abroad. We pay 25 euros each year for membership of AVF, and then everything we attend is free, apart from outings, theatre trips etc.Everything takes place in French, apart from the language courses. Ours has French, Spanish and English language groups, some at 2 levels. These are led by volunteers, and obviously they choose how to go about things. My OH's group discuss local events, items in newspapers, anything anyone wants to bring up or have explained. At mine we have quite difficult text each time, which we read through and discuss meaning - discussion being a bit hit and miss. 

Maybe one or both of these will be available to you where you'll live. Our AVF branch also  has a variety of craft and walking groups etc, so can be part of an active social life. Good luck in your move.  [:)]

I live in Pas de Calais, am English and got so fed up with Brits who didn't or wouldn't speak French I have set up a small group teaching simple basic French for non speakers. I don't profess to be fluent but can hold my own with the French. I also go to a conversation group in my village where the French speak English and us Brits speak French. The best thing I have done since I came here 3 years ago.  So far we are on week 4 of 7 then break for the summer hols. Feel free to PM me with details of where you are moving to. Lessons are 90 mins long with time afterwards for tea and coffee. Lessons are free. We start again in September.

tuppence

tuppence

Gardengirl mentioned AVF - they often have French classes and, even if they don't, they often have English classes, which may be useful for you (I mean as a kind of exchange).

In any event, they are designed to help newcomers (whether French or immigrant) settle in to their new area.

There are 8 AVF in Nord Pas de Calais; see:

http://www.avf.asso.fr/minisites/Website/site/nordpasdecalais_accueil.php

and

http://www.avf.asso.fr/minisites/Website/site/nordpasdecalais_accueil_liensavflocaux.php

etc.

Also, ask at your local Mairie (and at that of the nearest large town if different) - they should know of the other Associations which provide courses (usually free or extremely cheap) for immigrants. It was this procedure which put me in touch with a local Association here in Midi-Pyrenées. Their language instruction wasn't that useful for me (my initial level was already at their upper limit) but it was useful for connections (and explanations of how things work) and fascinating for the insights I gained from the others attending - from Algeria, Austria, Colombia, England, Germany, Hungary, India, Macedonia, Morocco, Spain, Turkey, Ukraine among others!