French exam forms - URGENT HELP NEEDED!!

Teresa

My son is preparing to sit his BEP exam at lycee, and his teacher has suddenly told him he needs 2 copies of his passport AND a copy of the fiche de recensement, which she said he could get from the mairie.

We went to get it, only to be told it is only available to French nationals or those of dual nationality.

Has anyone come up against the same problem? Any idea what we should do?

He is supposed to take these in on monday (Nov 15th), or he can't do it.

[quote user="Teresa"]My son is preparing to sit his BEP exam at lycee, and his teacher has suddenly told him he needs 2 copies of his passport AND a copy of the fiche de recensement, which she said he could get from the mairie. We went to get it, only to be told it is only available to French nationals or those of dual nationality. Has anyone come up against the same problem? Any idea what we should do? He is supposed to take these in on monday (Nov 15th), or he can't do it.[/quote]

The french require ALWAYS a piece of paper for their burokratik system; verbal assertion is not enough; get a note stamped and signed at mairie stating that the fiche de recensement is not required. And with a physical piece of paper in the dossier all will be fine.

It's like when they ask for a Livret de Famille. 'We' don't have lots of things, just tell them that you don't have one and cannot get one as your child does not have french nationality. The Mairie ofcourse is under no obligation to give you a paper to say that they cannot issue one, but if they are 'nice' they they probably will.

IF we were ever asked for this, then I must have sorted it out. Like when my son was travelling abroad with the school, they wanted a 'sortie de terratoire'. As I pointed out, he was already 'out of his own terratory' by being in France, so we just gave him a letter signed by both of us saying that he was travelling with the school.

Teresa - PP and Idun are right.  I have a number of children who have been asked for all sorts of paperr to keep French bureaucrats happy, some of which we just do not have e.g. the Livret de Famille, vaccination certificates etc.  I say that we can't offer what they are wanting and usually they accept the situation with a shrug.  By the way, one of my daughters took her BEP exam and wasn't asked for the fiche you said.

In France, 'non' does not mean 'non'.  Sometimes it is just that they want to go on their lunchbreak or that they want to hand the problem to someone else or etc etc.  So don't take no for an answer.

Perhaps go back to the Mairie and be firm about them giving you some sort of letter.  "Desolee mais j'ai besoin d'aide" works a treat.

Certainly, go to the teacher (or preferably the Headteacher) and tell her/him as well.  Be firm.  They cannot discrimate against Europeans - it is not allowed.  Other Europeans have taken the BEP without being French nationals.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.