Moving to Morzine

SarMar

Hi All,

I have decided to move to Morzine to be with my partner who is currently living out there as we are fed up with commiting.  We have a daughter who is 7 years old and I am getting increasingly nervous about how she will settle in to School and the way of life out there.  She is currently taking private French lessons in the UK in preperation.

Can anybody help with advice on schools.  We will be living in Essert Romand and I believe there is a little school located there.  If you can share any of your experiences (good and bad) I would appreciate.  Also if anybody can provide advice on what the procedure is to get them into school out there and if I will find it difficult in getting her a place.

Thanks

Sarah

As you know, the area is beautiful so you will both like it. As far as your daughter attending school there, you need to be reminded that kids adapt EXTREMELY well to new environments. If you were moving into a bad area it would be different but you are moving to a great part of the Alps. Your daughter will soon make friends and become fluent in French. Mark my words, in 2 years time you will wonder what all the fuss was about. Good luck !

Hi Sarah,

We are moving to Essert Romand,in the next couple of months, and my 10 year old daughter will be hopfully be going to the local school. We are going out there in a weeks time to look at it and sort it out so will let you know. Be nice to know someone else in the area in the same boat!!

Regards

Debbie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Have just found this site today. We are seriously thinking of selling up and making the move to the Alps soon, in fact have just had house valued today.  We are looking to go to Les Gets and are making a trip early August house hunting we have a 3 yo daughter so schools of obvious interest.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...
Have just written on another forum page re Brittany (Morlaix) but we are in same position with 3 girls 10, 12 and 14. Would really like to move near to the sea, open as to area but would happily go where there is a good school. It's not easy finding out where they are. Also know most important for there to be a good community with a lot going on, to make friends and keep them busy.

• 3 weeks later...
We live in Evian-les-Bains and it is absolutely wonderful. Cannot recommend it highly enough. Not too far from where you want to be. However, winters are very long [if sunny] and it is a very different way of life, but I am certain you understand this already.

The HS is a super place to live: all right, so it is expensive which is probably because it has such a great deal to offer, as well as it's proximity to Switzerland.

If you need any additional help or advice, please send us a pm as we have helped many people over the years, one family last year who were all set to go and live in CH but ended up hereabouts and have taken to the whole environment like the proberbial ducks to water. Bonne chance!

[quote user="SarMar"] ... advice on what the procedure is to get them into school out there and if I will find it difficult in getting her a place. [/quote]

Though it's been a  very  long time that I  went to school or put kids in school, I'd advise that you visit the school master/mistress on the first day of school in September. It will be announced in the press : La rentrée ! or visit la Mairie in your district and they will tell you when school is back on. I doubt they'd refuse you a place as little schools are always glad for new pupils if only to augment their 'per capita' allowance for their budget ... Have ready with you the child's birth certificate and ID etc ...

If one thing about French education is that the basic primary school structure hasn't changed much since my days, last century sometime [Www], so aged 7, your little girl should be in CE1 (Cours Elémentaire 1ère année) but for her lack of fluent French she probably will be taken to the class below : the C.P. (Cours Préparatoire) where her progress  will be monitored and from there she could well catch up with her peers. 

Not familiar with Essert Romand but I did work in Morzine for the summer season once at l'Hotel du Dahu. I loved it !! Lovely scenery, plenty of lovely walks on days off and Morzine is a lovely little town.

• 3 months later...

Things are beginning to happen with our propsed move to the Alps.

Still set on Les Gets as have been visiting the area since the mid 1980's (my parents owned a property in Thollon les Memises between 1990 and 2003) so I know the area fairly well.

We are hoping to move in July next year I have now sold my business (estate agency) and am working in local government and getting our house here ready to sell in the spring of next year.  The plan is to keep hold of a property where we live (in Guernsey), rented out (as a guaranteed income stream) and we are looking to purchase a chalet outright with at least a 2 bed apartment to rent out either catered or self catered. I also hope to be able to pick up some work on a part time basis in one of the local agencies.

The local school in Les Gets looks superb, but it seems impossible to get much information as the school doesnt have a website. It lists only 75 pupils and we are not sure whether this is bad or good?

Not sure whether to buy straight off or look to rent, if only we had a crystal ball to see what will happen with the euro and sterling? 

Sarah & Debs did you make the move?

Evaniers thanks for the offer of help and advise I will take you up on it

Andy

Hi there!

I was in exactly your position in June. I have a 12 and 13 year old so I was even more frantic as I imagined it takes a heavier toll the older they are. i am learning lots since moving here and I've set up a forum for us all living in and around Morzine. www.morzine-forum.com. Please ask away and I will find out everything you need! It will get me out and about - the kids are in school so much longer than where we were!

Helen

Dear Evianers

Oh I am so pleased to find your post, as we have a property in Thollon Les Memises, which we love but have never managed to strike the courage to move to as we have a 5yr old boy who has just started school in September. We know this is the ideal time to relocate but have concerns over where he will go to school, as I have seen post for a private school in Thonon that has english speaking teachers, or do we just go for it and enrol at the village school in Thollon? Are there many english families with young/primary aged children in the area. We lived in Barbados but returned when he was young due to the lack interaction with other children until they reached school age. It has made us a bit too cautious now! Any advice would be welcomed, as w e are coming for Xmas and NY and may decide to stay from then on! Look forward to hearing from you,or if you prefer send me a pm. Many thanks, Denise

Hi Andrew, I saw your post and thought I would let you know we are in the same boat only we have the property in Thollon, which we love! We met a guy in the summer who runs www.thegreatescapemorzine.com (i think) and he lives near Biot so may be able to help, as he was a lovely guy and had a boy of 6 who has just completed his first year at the local school. If you want to stay in touch so we can pass over information as we come across it, it may help us both. We hope to have lots of seasons on the slopes with our little boy, and from your email it must have some special charm to make you want to move there after all these years! Look forward to hearing from you, Denise

Hi Helen, great forum! I shall have a good look as we are wanting to move out to our chalet in January and get our little boy in school (5yrs) but as with all other parents are wondering if it's right and how best to do it! We love the area but nervous of the education side of things and also want to know if there are other english expats around Evian areas so we can meet up and have a chat as our french is very limited! Any advice would be great. Thank you, Denise

Hi Denise

Yes a big move and very daunting!  I spent most Christmas's in Thollon during the 90's as my parents owned a 2 bed flat in the Panoramic next to Meda Sports.  A truly brilliant spot with the mountain and the lake.  As the children got older we found the skiing limited and looked further afield to ski, I think Bernex is great.   As we day skiied further afield we found Les Gets and when my parents sadly sold their apartment we have holidayed there winter and summer.

I got remarried 5 years ago and we have a 3 y.o. daughter.  Our mind is made up and we are hoping to relocate in july/august next year. 

Andrew

Hi Denise

Yes a big move and very daunting!  I spent most Christmas's in Thollon during the 90's as my parents owned a 2 bed flat in the Panoramic next to Meda Sports.  A truly brilliant spot with the mountain and the lake.  As the children got older we found the skiing limited and looked further afield to ski, I think Bernex is great.   As we day skiied further afield we found Les Gets and when my parents sadly sold their apartment we have holidayed there winter and summer.

I got remarried 5 years ago and we have a 3 y.o. daughter.  Our mind is made up and we are hoping to relocate in july/august next year. 

Andrew

ps the Thollon webcam is set as my home page as I love the view

IMHO you cannot give your little daughter a more brilliant gift than giving her the opportunity to grow up bi-lingual. Now is definitely the time to move so that she can start school here in France. We answered a similar request for information for a Scottish chap who wanted to move to Switzerland. We asked him had he thought of hereabouts in France. Upshot is, the family moved here and are thriving, loving every minute and never regret making the decision - they also have two small children.

I agree with you about my daughter's education and I have no reservations at all about moving to the area and cannot wait, apart from the BIG QUESTION which keeps running through my mind " So do we just buy a property, move in and start living"  is it really that simple?  It seems I have missed something, like I need permission from someone.

To be honest its my wife who has more concerns than I do, especially about our daughters education, I am sure she will get over her concerns when we are in situ.

The simple answer is of course..........yes. We have now lived all over the world, in three different continents and with only one exception, which shall be nameless but is a huge island Down Under[!] we were blissfully happy with all our moves. However, that said, the largest single factor is attitude of mind. With very positive thoughts and very few reservations, the whole exercise runs more smoothly. If you need any further information, do not hesitate to contact us privately, as we have helped many people over the years on the theme "been there, done that".

Hi all

I moved to Morzine in August and have a complete low-down on schools, virgin territory and banks and phones and renting and buying and phew!

Just yell! I will be only too pleased to help out! I was there where you are a few months ago and I found a few key people who were invaluable to me. Now it's time to share the joy!

Helen

• 1 year later...
Hi all- just wondering whether you guys went ahead with this and where you are living? I have previously lived in Chamonix but am now looking to relocate back to the Alps on my own with my one-year old son- been to Les Gets, Morzine and I do fancy somehwhere a bit smaller than Chamonix for the longer term- any recommendations & also how easy is it to meet people?? ( I have lots of friends in Chamonix, but from my days pre-mum! hence seems like an easier option...)

Thanks!