Leaseback Schemes

timc17

• 2 weeks later...
Are these for real?  We looked at one or two last year (well looked at the brochures) and it seemed that for 20k or so we'd get an appartment, leased out for the next 10 years after which it'd be ours.  IE we repaid the loan of 20k over 10 years (or more presumably!) and ended up with a property worth 150k.  Now this sounds like a sure thing but are there any drawbacks? The rental income is guaranteed so it seems like no risk. 

[quote]My wife and i are considering buying a leaseback property in Paris or in the South of France purely as a long term investment.Can anyone recommend a good agent or have any advice on these schemes? ...[/quote]

Hi, We bought a leaseback apartment on the Cote D'Azur through Pierre & Vacances.  We now own it outright but still let P&V rent it out for 9 months for us as we only use it for 3 months.  We have no bills to pay and they maintain it for us. They are a long established French company and have now merged with Maeva (Center Parcs).  Have a look at their website www.pierreetvacances.com which advertises all the places they let, for advice on buying leaseback go to the bottom of the page and click on 'Property Advice' where they advertise the new places being built, Grimaud and Paris are among them. I must sound like an agent for them - I'm not but I can't praise them and the deal highly enough.  If you want to know more I'd be happy to help.

[quote]They look great, we've actually stayed in a couple of their places. I like hte idea of the 'exchanges' if you fancy a change.[/quote]

Yes that's another advantage.  Their buying power is such that they secure the best sites for their residences.  This year we are swapping some weeks to stay on the Atlantic Coast and Bordeaux area and have previously swapped for Paris and Rome.  They have places in Venice so that will be next on the agenda and you can also go to the caribbean if you wish.

Pierre et Vacances are the market leader in Europe in holiday management. They are very professional. If you buy one of their leasebacks you can feel secure for the duration of the lease. Their yields are realistic and sustainable - that is not to say companies which offer higher yields are not sustainable. My husband has been researching the leaseback scheme for more than a year now. He believes it is an excellent investment. But he accepts that many prospective buyers are reluctant to buy because they can not get satifactory answers to some of their questions. For example will I be able to resell it easily? What (if any) negative things can happen during the lease? Will I be able to exit my lease? etc. And so he has started a web site www.frenchleaseback.net. It is a dynamic site which encourages existing leaseback owners to load their properties and tell their stories. I hope some of the leaseback owners who read this will use that particular facility and tell their own story, pros and cons.

Marina McConville

[quote]Pierre et Vacances are the market leader in Europe in holiday management. They are very professional. If you buy one of their leasebacks you can feel secure for the duration of the lease. Their yields...[/quote]

Marina, The site looks very good and I shall be posting.  P&V did not use any english at all when we bought our apartment and our french was only basic so we had to have it all translated professionally.  It will be very useful for prospective buyers if they are able to get answers to their queries from your site. Best wishes.

I recently purchased a p&V leaseback company and the agents I used supplied English copies of all paperwork, and they had a dedicated team to help the process.  I was very concerned with the purchase process but they made it really simple.  I'm now saving up to purchase my 2nd. Anyone interested in the agents name send me a mail.