Refresher lessons-What would you do?

Janet B

Hello, would welcome your opinions, I have a driving licence but have not driven for about 20 years, where I live at the moment I do not need a car, in fact one would be a nuisance, however when I move to Brittany driving will be essential. So do I book refresher lessons in the U.K. or would you recommend waiting until I move and book lessons there, bearing in mind my french is very basic. My husband drives me where I want to go here but I must be more independant, where we are moving to does not have a bus service every l5 minutes. So I must overcome my fear and dislike of driving and pull my finger out. What would you do in my situation. P.S. do not suggest my husband teach me, we have been down that route and he has not the patience, I feel it would lead to a divorce. Looking forward to your views. Thank you, Janet

HI Janet

I think refresher lessons would be a good idea, without your husband anywhere near! I think it would be worth the expense and effort, and also get some miles in on your own before you come over, just quietly without him fussing you and being critical. You really will have to drive here and it is generally a lot easier in this area than most places in the UK. I was over in Plymouth a couple of weeks ago, traffic lights all over the place, lots of changes of lane etc etc, since I got back I haven't seen a traffic light!

I found when I first came that it was easier to drive my RHD car with which I was familiar, on the wrong side of the road, than it was to get used to a LHD which we now have.

Go for it and don't let your husband put you off. I hope this doesn't sound rude but men can be very dismissive of women drivers and knock your confidence. There were some postings about this on here a long time ago which indicated this.

Good luck

Liz

Janet, my daughter has just been through all the tests and exams here for driving and it was quite horrendous for those with fluent french,so with basic language you may have problems understanding what the instructor is telling you to do. I personally suggest you do some refresher lessons in the UK as the traffic is denser and you will learn to cope with that and then with the relative lack of traffic here,you can relax a little and actually enjoy driving in France. Driving in the UK after not visiting for over five years has put me off ever taking a vehicle back there again from what I read and hear from other people's experiences. Another point to remember here that driving instructors nearly always have the next or previous client in the car at the same time as your lesson,so you will have that to contend with as well.

Hi Janet,
Just to say that I sympathise with your situation and to wish you well with your refresher lessons. We moved to Burgundy (from York!) a year ago. I drove in the UK but never liked motorway driving. We bought a left hand drive in France and my husband has driven us around ever since. As with you, there'd be a divorce if he "sat with me" whilst practicing driving here in Burgundy. So, a week ago, not having driven since we got here, I began refresher lessons at a local driving school. I've had two lessons so far and my (frighteningly young but extremely competent) instructor informs me that my driving is fine but that I need more experience of driving in France (priorite a droit etc. etc.)He also comments, as does my husband, that I ride the clutch!!! It's un-nerving at first but I quickly got the hang of driving on the right and touched far fewer curbs on the second lesson! Sitting on the left is taking longer to sort out - I'm still trying to change gears with the door handle! But I already feel much better. I know I'm going to be able to be independent fairly soon. No other learners in the car and, despite my appalling French, the instructor and I get along just fine. We have a system. If I feel I need to discuss something we just find somewhere to park up and battle it out between us until the problem is solved. Go for it, Janet. Let's know how you get on. And, once you're in France, as someone else said, the traffic conditions are generally so much better. Can't say I envy you your refresher lessons in York! Bon chance!
Regards,
Sue.

I've a good English friend who has just finished a series of refresher lessons in France. She is now driving on her own and even braving the local priphrique. The lessons were a boost to her confidence. She speaks good French but I would agree with Janet that it doesn't need to be an obstacle. Oh yes, my friend's car is an automatic; when she and husband moved to France they bought an automatic car to be sure that when she was ready to drive, gear changing wouldn't be a problem.

Good luck.

Katie