Buying a new car in France

Philmco

I will be moving to Aude probably by early July.

I would like to buy a new car (Renault or Peugeot) before driving down. I thought that I may be able to cross the channel and buy something and bring it back to England for a few weeks, before loading it up and setting off.
Does anyone have any ideas about buying in Calais/Boulogne etc etc.
I have a French bank account.
I have heard that they will register the car in Aude for me?

When you buy a new car it is issued with a temporary carte gris' and WW plates, that last for 2 weeks, afterwhich it is supposed to be properly registered(Aude in your case ). In practice people seem to drive around on these a little longer !

Also in theory you are not supposed to exit France with WW plates as up to this point the declaration of paid VAT has not been made formally(i.e via the registration process) - but we've done it and I guess lots of others have done it as well. - So you could get stopped by customs in France.

it may also be worth considering buying in Belgium. Many French people seem to buy Renualts up there where prices seem cheaper

regs

Richard

We were not permitted to leave France when we bought a year old vehicle with Paris plates until our dept had registered it and issued the new carte grise with new numbers. However this was not recently and things may have changed,but do check it out in case you get to the port and are turned back.

If you're still ibased in the UK, pop into WH Smiths and scour the top shelf (or the car mag shelf). There's a magazine dedicated to buying import and will give you details of the 'how to' and dealers in Europe that will oblidge. I used it a while back to buy a LHD Zafira from Holland and saved lots. If you follow this route, speak to me via my mail box for the intricacies involved.