Traffic offense...new license

Trixipup

Two days ago I went to collect my father-in-law from the airport and on the way back stopped to get petrol at a station that was on a roundabout. On leaving I became very confused about how to get out (maybe it was the heat!) and instead of turning right, going round the roundabout and continuing happily on my way, I was very stupid and also encouraged by my father-in-law, made an illegal left turn as there was NO traffic and crossed the solid white line. Fatal error.

Within seconds I saw gendarmes in my rear view mirror, lights flashing and waving me over. The gendarme asked for my carte gris and licence (I offered my insurance but he declined). "How long have you lived here" he asked. "Six months" I replied. "You need to get a new licence," he said. This even before any punishment had been discussed.

We walked back to his car and he explained I would get a fine as I had committed an 'infraction' and asked if I knew what I had done. "Yes," I said, "I turned left when it was not permitted." You crossed the solid white line, said he.

"Really?" (me) I must have appeared very dim "Yes, really," he continued..."you do know that is an offence?" (He was actually reading me my rights in a way as he wanted to tick the box to say the driver has understood what you are explaining to them!!)

I conceded, as I knew I was wrong. He did smile though when I explained I had become confused. Then payment...90 euros and also points, though he would not be pinned down as to how many, maybe three or four I offered to pay there and then but he declined my kind offer and said I would have to pay by post or go to the post office and they would stamp the receipt.

I am so cross with myself, my first ever offense in all my years of driving Now I need to go to the prefecture and sort out a new license. Maybe the points will get missed somehow in the change? At the end of the day, they were doing their job and the gendarme who dealt with me was very nice (there were three of them in the car!).

Result - very quiet F-i-L on the way home

I was stopped the other day for failing to stop completely at a stop sign - I didn't realise that you actually had to come to a complete stop, and the Gendarmes were hiding in the bushes just down the road!!
I was very apologetic and showed him my Carte Grise, Insurance and Driving Licence(UK). He then asked me if we had the same points system in the UK and I said that in the UK they go on, rather than come off as in France. He said there was a 90 Euro fine. He was confering with a colleague about what they should do - so I offered to pay the fine by cheque there and then and please would they let me off the points, and they agreed!!! He said that he would give me a different receipt for the cheque to the usual one and then the infringement wouldn't go on the central computer and I wouldn't have to worry about exchanging my driving licence for a French one (we have been here 7 months) I was very relieved, and everyone that I have spoken to about it is amazed that I got off so lightly!!

Chris

You need a new license so you can have the points put on it; it is the only circumstance under which one is legally required to change ones license within the EU.