Isurance problem

Jaybee

I wonder if anyone can help, we are arriving in Roscoff on the 27th June, our insurance company only covers us whilst we are in England, on arrival in France we will not be covered. We cannot use a green card as we will no longer have an english address from the 25th June. I contacted an insurance agent in Morlaix and he asked for a carte grise, which of course we do not have as our english car cannot be registered until we get to France. I am sure others must have had this problem, how did you get over it. I have just faxed my Bank Manager, a lovely lady, who speaks english but don't know yet if she can help us arrange the car insurance. By the way it is an aged Volvo, we are planning on buying a french left hand drive with the next few months but need the cover in the meantime. HELP and thanks.

Any French broker will insure a car with English plates (AXA have a good reputation). There may be limits as to how long they insure it (1 yr typically).

In any event, yr UK company should (must in fact) insure you throughout the EU, regardless of your address, albeit minimum legal in the country you are visiting, if you have paid for the insurance.

Nick
http://www.aplaceinfrance.com

Janet, Val here. We used AGF inrue Ange de Guernisac when we first arrived here with an english car and they could not have been more helpful and even paid for the headlights to be changed. Since then I have two vehicles out of five currently insured with them and the house and no probs. Get in touch and I will help you if you want. We just spent a whole day going round the town and the most unhelpful and expensive were MAAF,Groupama and Assur2000. However if you do not intend to change the number plates over to french ones you may encounter refusal of insurance because of that,plus you will not be able to sell your old car here either.

LAST EDITED ON 18-Jun-04 AT 05:13 PM (BST)

Janet, I've only just seen this. Our insurance for car and house is in Roscoff. MMA 'au pied du Phare' just by the old lighthouse on the sea front. If other ideas fall through we have always found M. Pascallon most helpful in insuring our UK reg. car for some months,

Liz (29)

Your UK insurance company should give you 14 days green card coverage even without a permanent UK address. If the are refusing to give you coverage for France but giving only cxoverage for the UK, what they are they doing in effect is cancelling the policy as you will not be in the UK. Therefore you should get a refund without penalty.

Having worked in the Insurance industry for over 25 years I am not sure if they can only give you coverage for the UK as the UK is part of the EEC. You might have to pay for a green but if you ask them for 14 days coverage it will at least give you time to get coverage here in France.

Hope you get it sorted and good luck with your move.

Kind regards

David and Sam (Dept 37)