Newly qualified driver - queries

overmonnow

Hello,

(1) If I have just passed my driving test in the UK, am I able to drive on this licence in France or are there any restrictions?

(2) If I am to be insured on my husband's car as a named driver, how will my inexperience be viewed/penalised by a French insurer?

Any comments gratefully appreciated...

Emma-Jane Lockhart
(taking test in the next month or so, moving as soon as after that!)

Is there is a period of apprentissage in the UK now? Here you have to drive for three years after passing your test before you are a proper driver and get the full permis whether you are 18 or 88 and I honestly think you may have trouble getting insured here because of this rule and I would actually contact the French Embassy in London if you can and get their views on this.For a first time driver in France you can expect to pay over 1000 + franchise of 150+ for the first year with your own insurance and people are usually encouraged to have their own policy so you can build up your bonus points and not endanger, in your case, your husbands total. Otherwise all I can say is enquire when you get to France, get yourself a little old car and put up with the "A" on the back for three years,although you will have to inform the authorities.