Immatriculation?

Jonzjob

Does anyone know if there is a translation of the form "Demand de Certificat d'Immatriculation d'un Véhicule. We went into the Prefecture in Carcassonne today and were given this form to fill out to get our car registered on to French plates. Unlike other threads where the form was filled out for the person, we just had this plonked at us! Quell hourour?

John (hoping?)

As a newcomer to France and TRYING to learn the language it is nice when you can get a little help to intergrate as opposed to grate with the people of the country of your choice. French people do speak French and from a very early age. I learned to speak English at a very early age and now I am trying, at a late age, to learn to live in a different country and to learn the language.

Now does anyone know if there is a translation for the "Demand de Certificat d'Immatriculation d'un Véhicule" so that I can go a step further to intergrating into my chosen comunity please. Not being one who is going to drive a U.K. registered car for the duration and risk the grey area of the insurance situation...

John.

As far as I'm aware, no translated version exists. it's a pretty straightforward document though.

Here's a rough and ready translation that should help you fill it in:

Tick "Certificat" if you're registering a car that you bought, "Duplicata" if you're replacing a lost carte grise, "Changement de domicile" if you're changing the carte grise after moving house, "Rectificiaton" if you're correcting an error on the carte grise.

Demandeur (you) : Mr, Mrs, Miss, Company, Garage, Mr & Mrs, etc.

SUrname (or company name)
First name(s)
Used name: ignore this
Alias: Ignore this and the boxes underneath unless it's a long term rental
SIREN number if you're registering in the name of a company

Tick a box that corresonds to your living (i find this irrelevant so I choose one at random - no one ever looks at these forms anyway)

Place and date of Birth: date - town - department (leave blank if born outside france) - country

Address: Street N° - type of street (rue/avenue etc.) - Street name - Post code - TOwn

Ignore the bit that says "cadre reservé..."

Choose the colour of your car: clear / dark - black / brown / Red, etc.

Other information: The Control Technique (inspection) date (see carte grise)
Result of the inspection: leave this blank - they'll sort it out
Current reg. N°:
Date of acquisition:

Fait à: Your town
le: date

Sign.

And you're done. Any problems let me know.

Stephen.

Surname, first name(s), address etc (as above) of the

Stephen thank you for you help. I now know the meaning of several more words in French to help me on my way. We will probably go back to the Prefecture on Monday with our nicely filled out form, ta  . There is also something called  'Fiscal' stamp (I think) costing €22. In one of the other posts, not sure which one, it said to get it from a Tabac. I tried this yesterday and was told no and that it was available at the Prefecture. There is a pay desk there... Any ideas.

Slightly wiser John.

When we went to register our car at the sous Préfecture, we were sent off to the local tax office to get a "quittance", a form from them showing that no tax was outstanding on the car.  We produced the UK registration doc, the bill of sale for the car and our passports.  The form was duly issued, without charge, and we returned to the sous Préfecture.  I produced the above documents again, a utility bill showing our address here, the tax form and also the Certificate of Conformity and evidence of when the car was first on the road.  This last document was necessary as when a car is 4 years old the contrôle technique (French MoT) falls due and this date has to be entered on the carte grise.  Trouble was that our car had been bought second hand in Germany and neither I nor the chap at the sous Préfecture understood German!  Problem was solved in an unusual way - the office was plastered with photos of Rottweilers and on enquiring about them we were told that they were the boss's dogs.  We have a Rottweiler, and are nuts about them!  Fifteen minute chat with boss about Rottweilers in general and his in particular and suddenly we were at the guichet to collect our carte grise!  Hope this helps, and if you want to borrow our Rottweiler, give me a call!  Incidentally, my French is reasonably good, but, like French people themselves, I sometimes have difficulty negotiating the bureaucracy. Bon chance et bon courage, mon ami!

Pete (not Sue)

I don't think fascal stamps exist anymore. Not for registering your car at least. YOu should be able to pay by cheque or cash. Here's a checklist of what you *will* need (presuming it's a French registered car):

1. certificat de cession filled in by the vendor (if you don't have it then fill one in yourself - like I said, no one looks at them)
2. old carte grise
3. the demande d'immatriculation
4. ID (preferably French - carte de séjour or ID card, not sure if driving licence is acceptable)
5. If you don't have N° 4 then take a passport and some proof of address. They like utility bills to proove address. Attestation from the notaire should work, too.
6. The ''certificat de non-gage" that the previous owner will have given you. If he hasn't he's naughty but you can get one off the internet or at the prefecture.

You should be OK with all that. Your controle technique needs to have been done at most 6 months previously. If not the vendor is very, very naughty and you'll have to get the car inspected before you can register it.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the info Pete and Stephen. The car, Citroen C8, is new (we got a good price for our house in the U.K., so we spoiled ourselves) so we won't need some of the papers. We have all the other docs so it should be fairly straightforward (please!!). It was bought in Holland, because we didn't have a French address and I was dammed if I was going to pay £9.000 for a 6 year old LHD Espace in the U.K. I drove it back to the U.K. on Dutch transit plates, had all sorts of fun getting it insured for that too. Re-registered it onto U.K. plates because if I'm going to pay VAT then it's going to be 17.5% not 19% in France. Paid the VAT at 17.5%, bought it over here and am now re-registering it here to keep it totally legal!

I know the history and am over the moon with the car plus the bonus of saving over £3.500.

Once again thank you folks. It's lovely tp know there are still some good hearted people in the world.

John.