Cost of french-registered car assurance?

Buster_Gutte

I am in the process of obtaining quotes for a 'medium to large' estate car that will be bought and registered in France.

Has anyone recently obtained quotes from french insurance companies? What should I expect to pay? I have more than 5 years no-claims, am over 50 yrs of age and 30+ years driving experience.

(My UK insurance is about £500 p.a.)

Thanks in advance

Buster

Somewhere between £350 and £450 equivalent I would have thought. Past experience and no claims in the UK don't really count for much here,they tend to go for the vehicle details in question and where you live as regards risk and also roughly how many km per year you intend to drive. French car insurance has risen quite a bit in the past year like everything else here. Don't forget to check out what franchise (excess) they are quoting as many differ from say 150€ to 400€ in the event of a claim

Hi

It is quite competitive. Get as many quotes as possible. Buy L'Argus and try some of the online companies.

NCB seems to go up to 50%.French companies will accept UK NCB.

However, in France, max NCB is 10+ years. Better to get a letter from your UK insurance agent (or Co car manager) saying 13 years with no claim than a statement from your insurance Co saying 40% NCB.

I found that with the NCB the cover was quite cheap compared with other European countries.

They have also been generous in protecting my bonus where I would have lost it in UK (I've had 3 claims and none were judged to be my fault).

Peter

2 weeks ago my newly aquired 4 year old Citroen Xsara Estate cost €560 with AXA (All risks).

I could only prove 9 years without a claim in UK - if I had the previous paperwork with another company I may have got a larger discount.

Doug

Roughly the same as me then DMC,I have a four year old Citroën Xsara Picasso and the all risks cover with AGF was 540€ this year with 9 years ncb in France and just one claim in that time for a new windscreen which was covered anyway.

Full no claims on a Zafira (big family) cost this year was 404€ fully com and the 2 little cars both on basic cover cost 159€ (Pug) and 189€ (Renault 5)

We could get the Zafira insurance slightly cheaper with companies like Direct Assurance on the net but I do feel it is best to have an assurance company close to where one lives, although having said that the Pug is still insured at our old insurers in the Dordogne !!

[quote]I am in the process of obtaining quotes for a 'medium to large' estate car that will be bought and registered in France. Has anyone recently obtained quotes from french insurance companies? What sh...[/quote]

peugeot 406 2litre hdi 518€ maximum ncb with maaf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Buster,

We got our insurance via BIBA (British Insurance Brokers Association). They deal with ex-pats and are British. They were very helpful and it was all sorted on the phone with immediate cover if we wanted it. If you would like more info then PM or e-mail me. Anyone else tooo.

We also got our medical top up through them too.

(fully covered) John.