Driving Licence

Annhopkins

We have old style driving licences, are we able to exchange these for French ones with ease or should we obtain the new style picture licences in the UK first?  I have made enquiries with DVLC but it appears that sharing of information between EEC countries does not exist and they couldn't help me.

Many thanks

Ann

If you live in France forget the DVLC you don't need them if you go to your local mairie for them to do all your changing over paperwork for you. They should give you apart from an attestation that you have applied for a french licence, a photocopy of your english licence, the original of which will be sent on your behalf to the authorities to deal with. It couldn't be easier. Time and time again, people insist on asking questions in the UK relating to things French and get nowhere, you need only to ask in France.

Hi

I think local rules apply here, too.

My local prefecture told me that they no longer exchange EU licenses because they are valid throughout Europe, except in the case of infractions graves (i.e. need to put points on).

I needed to change my license because I'd been using a non computerised Belgian license issued by a Flemish commune I hadn't lived in for 10+ years. Imagine losing your license and returning with the words "remember me ?" to sort out a replacement.

On my next visit to the prefecture a few months later, I explained that I'd been stopped by the gendarmes for not stopping at a stop sign and they had indicated that I would be prosecuted. When I explained I was very worried they would not be able to put points on my license the Prefecture was more than happy to issue the exchange license. I'm almost sure I saw the fonctionaire smile ! From memory it was free.

As I hadn't been stopped by the gendarmes, everyone was happy.

Peter

I have no plans to return to the UK, though, does anybody know if you get a French driver license, could you subsequently get a UK one should one return to the UK. I also still have an old paperwork one and to “change my address” had contacted DVLC and got nowhere (no response even).

Also, having never seen a French drivers license, and given people here seem to know all about this stuff:

1. I (at present) don't really want to go through the "grief" to get a "Carte du Sejour" (sic ?) but find carrying round my UK passport a nuisance (my new passport will last no more than 1 year). In practice I rarely carry any ID around (which I appreciate is illegal). Does a French drivers license have a photo and does is act as photo ID (e.g. for writing cheques when an ID is required). If it does it may help if stopped when not carrying my passport.

French driving licences are taken as identity when writing cheques etc. If you want easier ID then apply for a Titre de Séjour and this can be done by your local mairie and is a watered down version of the old CDS. Carrying a british passport and losing it will cost you well over £60 here to replace it possibly.