insuring a car & caravan while having no fixed address

jim the drummer

Hi all, the tribe and I are planning to sell our uk house and live in our touring caravan while we search for a suitable property for the ubiquitous  (it seems) gite/Chambres d'hote business.  Has anyone done this, and how does one obtain valid motor insurance while having no fixed address? 

jim the drummer

Hi jim - try phoning Ivan Tredinnick (English speaking French registered insurance brokers) in Cognac and asking him your question. You'll get better advice straight from the horses mouth me thinks

0033 (0)545 824293

good luck

I would have thought that your UK insurer would continue to cover you, under the EU-wide regs, even if you are of NFA. My UK insurer told me that they did not have a choice but to insure me, as the policy had some time to run, despite having left the UK. Due, I gather, to the fact that all motor policies must be Europe-wide, under EU regs.

I don't think that you will be able to insure a UK caravan here, unless you matriculate it, which opens another can of worms.

You can't tow a UK caravan behind a French car (unless it weighs less than 750Kg laden), unless again, it is registered in France.

[quote]I would have thought that your UK insurer would continue to cover you, under the EU-wide regs, even if you are of NFA. My UK insurer told me that they did not have a choice but to insure me, as the po...[/quote]

"...I don't think that you will be able to insure a UK caravan here, unless you matriculate it, which opens another can of worms..."

Actually, you can, Nick. I've had my UK - Swift insured here by Generali France for the last 3 years. The paperwork carries the chassis number and the immatriculation of the car at the time. Not cheap though!

And you're so right about the "...can of worms." - Swift want a huge sum (can't remember exactly how much, but think it was around £300) for an attestation de conformitie, and then the fun begins!

I've not been brave enough to venture down that road yet, and probably won't as we tend to just use the caravan as an extra bedroom. When we move it to the new house, I'll either risk the single journey, or hire a trailer (you know, one of those things used to ferry racing cars etc. around) to get it there.

paul