Annual fully comp European cover with UK insurer

Sbesley

My vehicle is registered and insured in the UK, as this is where my main residence is. I am coming up to renewal time and am fed up with the £18 that my current insurer (Admiral) charges me each time to issue a 'Green card'.

As I'm coming over to France every couple of weeks or so this has all started to get expensive... if I don't bother with the Green card, Admiral tell me the cover reverts to a basic 'Road Traffic Act' level, which I'd prefer not to risk.

So can anyone recommend a UK insurer who will include European cover as part of the deal and still be competitive?

Thanks,

Stephen.

After searching around we found that we could obtain fully copmrehensive as part of a package with both AXA and a company called screensavers.co.uk. We are currently with Churchill through screensavers so give them a ring and ask for a quote. I think that AXA have a 93 day limit to usage at this cover in Europe and you have to call and inform them before you travel. But you do not have to inform screensavers. Hope this helps. 

We have this problem as well, I did have cover once thru the AA but with AXA it was expensive, my last lot of insurance was direct with AXA 93 days foreign travel, but we insure two vehicules so we manage to cover all school holidays and more. However renewal time now and my husband told me last night that we have received a letter saying that AXA UK were withdrawing from car insurance and RAC would be taking over our policies. So need to check that out when Im back next week.

But ideally full year cover without having to phone  everytime you go abroad would be better.

elaine

I am insured with Liverpool Victoria (Frizzell). No need to inform them before each trip and cover is the same as in the UK for a trip not exceeding 90 days. There does not seem to be a limit on the total number of days in a year only on the maximum number of days in a trip.

Ian

We had exactly the same problem - we spent a fortune with Admiral last year, and we too have just switched to Liverpool Victoria. The basic cost of the insurance is slightly lower than it had been with Admiral, and as MCI says, it includes European cover, so no more frantic last-minute calls to Admiral from the motorway on our way to Dover (because we were always forgetting to sort it out in advance!).

Funnily enough, the reason I started to shop around this time instead of just automatically renewing my policy as I have done in previous years, was because after all that I had spent with Admiral over the years, they had the temerity to charge me £18 to cover me for the courtesy car which I borrowed from my garage for 4 hours when my car went in for a service! The Liverpool Victoria policy also covers me for courtesy cars....

Just out of interest at this time, how does driving a French registered and insured car for trips to the UK work?

Presumably there is no problems with French insurance cover for driving in neighbouring land-linked countries, but is the UK and/or Ireland viewed differently?

Graham

[quote]Just out of interest at this time, how does driving a French registered and insured car for trips to the UK work? Presumably there is no problems with French insurance cover for driving in neighbouri...[/quote]

No problem - AGF gives us a green card automatically for both of our French-registered cars so we just book up the ferry and go (the number of crossings I make, it would cost an absolute fortune if we had to arrange insurance for each trip). Breakdown cover is included too, incidentally.