Moving to France

Margie

I am moving to France permanently taking 2 vehicles and hopefully 1 dog.

My current insurer has told me that as soon as I become resident in France they will not insure my vehicle. All I want is 1 months cover to enable me to travel down and sort out a French insurer. Does anybody have any recommendations or info? Have tried Insurance Solutions but they want twice the current amount!

Also, if anyone has a checklist for 'the big move' I would be pleased to hear of any useful information.

Regards.

You will not be "resident" in France for at least 90 days after you move here.

Provided you don't cancel your policy on the date you leave the UK, most half decent insurers in the UK will give you a green card on your UK policy for up to 90 days so that you can have time to sort out French based insurance.  Go back to your insurer and ask about this

Thankyou for the reply. I think I have worded my query incorrectly as it should have said 'once I sell up and move and do not have an UK address any longer they say they will not insure me' and not 'become resident'.

Still trying to find a solution.

Merci.

I insured with a French company over the internet before moving to France. As an earlier poster stated, you can keep your UK insurer using the Green Card to overlap from one to another.

Once you have settled in France and re-registered your car to get the Carte Gris you will then receive your policy to replace the cover note that they issued to you!