Headlamps

AlanW

I have a 2001 Ford Focus (RHD) which I am intending to export and register in France within the next few months.  It has got a recent MOT so SHOULD get thru the French test OK but does anyone know if the headlamps on this model can be adjusted a la mode Francaise, or will I need to get them changed to the LHD version?

Grateful for any help or advice

Thank You

I used to have one of those in England, and if the headlights could have been easily adjusted I would have saved a fortune on those sticky beam bender things. So it looks as if you need replacement LHD headlamp units. Fortunately Fords are reasonably common in France, though less so than Renaults, Peugeots etc, so you shouldn't have much trouble sourcing the parts (my experience with a Ford van over here suggests that if going to a Ford garage the spares service is pretty efficient). You may be lucky enough to find second-hand units.

As far as I know, it is not possible to adjust any fancy-shaped headlamps to dip the other way. Unlike the 1950s Renault with round lamps that I had, years ago, where one removed the bulb, flicked a tag over, and replaced the bulb in a slightly different position. My MG from about 15 years later had round lamps too, and replacement LHD units were cheap and simplicity itself to fit. Not all progress is in a positive direction, is it?