Taking vehicles over 25 years old out of a department

P

Hi - we are new to this forum, which seems extremely useful.

We are seriously thinking of relocating to France when we take early retirement in under 2 years and have started the process of finding things out.

I was somewhat concerned to read in one book that a classic vehicle cannot be taken out of the department where it is registered and also a vague reference to the same on this forum.

As I am partial to the odd classic vehicle and would definitely want to bring my Triumph over, and also add a few other vehicles, is there any way of registering a vehicle over 25 years so that it can be legally driven outside of the department - I do not seem to have found this dealt with elsewhere on the forum.

Many thanks

If you chose to rgeister your car under 'Carte Gris de Collection' then it is limited to the department in which it is registered plus the adjacent departments. For instance in 87, I could take it to 36,23,19,24,16 and 86. Unless it is pre booked through a registered car club to attend a ralye somewhere else.

If you put it through a full Controlle Technique then you can take it anywhere you want.  Local to us CT station does enough old cars (25 or 30 years old) for it not to be an issue.

All the French motoring magazines I have ever read have adviced avoiding CDdC. Neighbours ( mega non French speaking) succesfully registered E type from New Zealand that had started its life in Japan.

The rules are changing for next year. You will then be able to take an auto de collection anywhere subject to a compulsory CT every 5 years but the qualifying age will be increasing from 25 to 30 years.

The registration process will remain much simpler and cheaper eg no certificate of conformity or DRIRE inspection. Check out www.ffve.fr

Thanks for the replies. It is a car - a TR7 convertible - but in retirement I would like it joined by a Ford Zodiac MkII, Rover P6 and a few more. Do not know why but I have always fancied a Renault Dauphine.

The book that I read basically statd that vehicles over 25 years could not leave the department that they are registered in - so glad that it was only part of the story, so do not need to think up a reason to tell my wife as o why going to France is out of the question.