Importing a Car from the Netherlands

Hi, Good Morning

Has anyone experience of importing a new car from the Netherlands into France.

There's a company out there, who are offering to sell a French Spec New Car to me at a really good price.

I buy it whilst in the UK with sterling, pick it up in Belgium, on Belgium Plates and drive to my home in France.

Its to get round taxes etc I assume but is there a sting in the tail somewhere.

Regards Dave

We brought our cars from the Netherlands but they were already registered there, so the ruling will be different.

However if you're bringing a car into France which is less than 6 months old, I believe you get stung with a tax here.  There's just no escaping taxes.

We have also been looking at purchasing a 2nd-hand car in NL/BE/GER and registering it in France.  Does anyone know the process of actually buying a car in one of these other countries for export to France?  Any companies that can do this for us?

Thanks

Hi,

I have just been to holland and bought a secondhand van, everything was done for us at the van sales office there, they put temporary export plates on the van, provided two weeks insurance and provided all the paperwork for export to France. We have had a CT done, re-insured it (still on import plates)with our French insurers, been to the local Hotel des Impots and got an attestation to say that no duty is owed on the vehicle, now the fun part begins, we have applied for a Certificate of Conformity and the it's off to get our Carte Gris...hopefully we will not have to visit DRIRE judging by others experiences with them..all over France.

bon courage

Dave

We agree with you, the fun part is getting the certificate of conformity - but once you've got that you don't have to visit the DRIRE and after that it is straightforward - just make sure you have all the correct documentation when you visit the prefecture.

Good luck.

Anyone got experience of importing a motorbike - now that's a different story!!!!