Car Taxation?

naps

Ok, so we're now French registered, and the documentation says that my car has a puissance of 7 - apparently this is the taxation level. 

So what does this mean?  Do we have to pay something annually/monthly based on this?

Sorry if it's already been covered, but I'm one of those who can't get round the Norton problems, so I don't have a search bar and am unable to find info.

Thanks (and as my OH KEEPS saying 'Importing was a doddle')

Upto about 6 years ago every vehicle on the road in France had to buy a vignette during two or three weeks at the back end of November only and which was the road tax and was based on the age and puissance (7 in your case) which is the engine size. This was then phased out except for commercial vehicles and companies running five or more vehicles who still pay a vignette. You don't have to worry about this now,you will only pay your insurance and have a Contrôle Technique (MOT) every two years once the car reaches 4 years old as in the UK.

The CV rating is a rather arbitrary figure, not actually based on engine size or power. There have been many ways of assessing it over the years, including a very complicated formula involving gearbox ratios and the like. The current system seems to be based mainly on CO2 emission. It's not entirely obsolete - what you pay for the carte grise is governed by the CV rating. It also has a bearing on what you pay for insurance, and if you claim vehicle expenses against tax you need the CV number to work out how much you are allowed.