Any advice, Storage, Normandy

Hi

I don't know if anyone can help but here goes.  I will be visiting Bayeux (14) for 3 days in July.  Our house is due for completion near there in Sept/Oct.  If I was to buy stuff such as beds, table and chairs etc is there any facility that you know of where they could be stored until we visit on completion.  My  husband is in a wheelchair and will only be going to the house when it is ready.  I need to have everything to hand for his first visit which will be in October  (trust me its not very easy finding last minute suitable accomodation in an emergency).  I suppose the beds are the most important.  I was hoping to buy stuff from the local brocantes but the beds would have to be new.  Would the shops/brocantes keep the things for me?  How about storing smaller items?  I am probably asking the impossible.  Would I be better to get the stuff in the UK and get  a relative to drive over with it all?  I would like to get as much authentic french furniture as possible. I think that we are attempting the impossible by engaging on this venture as we live a very long way away but you only live once! 

Any ideas?

Michelle

Dear Michelle,

Sounds interesting, but you will find shops reluctant to hold your purchases in storage for you. Best would be to see if you can ask who you are buying from if you can store stuff in a garage/store or part of the house?

Or ask on the forums, this and others if anyone has dry storage in the area for a specific term.

Beds here are a pain and more expensive than UK. Good furniture( though not antique) can be found by trawling Brocantes and at a reasonable price.Antiques tend to be over priced.

No one delivers either for free, so beware that one as if you purchase from a lot of places you can be asked for a lot of delivery charges, typically 45 euros a go...

Anyway, think it through as it does all take up a lot of time.Good hunting, Jeremy.

Michelle,

I'm not sure I agree that brocantes would be reluctant to storage items for you. Those in this region (76) seem to have such a slow turn-over of stock that I don't think they would let storage get in the way of a sale. Don't mention this until this have haggled them down on the price though ;-)

When it came to furnishing my house, I bought the beds and mattresses in the UK, hired a van and brought them and various other basic items over. I think it was after 2am before we got to bed that night, although not starting the assembly of the beds until we were onto the second bottle of Bordeaux might have been a factor...

Next couple of days were spent shopping with the van, buying the white-goods was easy, but searching for furniture was hard work. Of course having the van meant that delivery was not an issue. But I think you shouldn't underestimate just how much time it will all take up...

Bonne chance!

Stephen.