buying second hand cars

Katieb

I'm sure this matter has been covered previously, but unfortunatley i am unable to find the thread.

We have just put a deposit down on a second hand car from a garage and are confused as to what we need to do to make things legal.

The garage are reissuing a carte grise which which have just paid for.

We understand we need to register the vehicle in our names (we live in the same department as the one the vehicle is registered in) - how and where do we do this?

We also understand that we need to get insurance cover before we collect the car. We were planning on buying this through our bank - or any other suggestions?

We tried to ask the dealer if there was a service history for the vehicle but he didn't understand what we meant - can anybody help with the french translation of this?

Sorry for so many questions, we are new to this game and have a very limited knowledge of the french language at the moment.

Many thanks

Kate

You re-register the car by taking the Carte Gris to the prefecture of the department where you live and it's a fairly simple procedure. Take with you every sort of personal document you can think of to prove who you are. Also every kind of document to prove you live at the address. ie: EDF bill, telephone bill everything you have.

I would not advise insurance through the Bank. There are loads of insurance offices in any town in France. Car insurance is pretty general and there is not much competition between companies. I would look for an agent who speaks English. You might need him in the future.

The service history should be supplied automatically if the car is relatively new and you are buying it from a reputable dealer. If it hasn't got one then don't buy it. It should be in the glove compartment of the car. Ask for "Le Utilisation des Vignettes de les revision". 

We're also in the process of buying a second hand car, though it's not from our Dept (46, not 24).

We are picking it up on Friday after getting the carte gris from the garage and going on to get insurance sorted at our local assurance office.

Two questions - how long do we have to re-register the car in 24?  We can't get to the Preferture at Perigueux until the week after next, can we use it so long as we have insurance and a CT?

Do we need an attestation de habitation from our Mairie or would the attestation we got in late January when we bought the house enough?  Or do we need neither, just all our domestic bills?

Tony F, the answer to this sort of question is always on www.service-public.fr you just type in your question and all the details come up.

I've just done this and typed in Carte Grise. It says it must be done immediately or 15 days by post. It also tells you exactly what documentation you need to obtain your new carte grise. So it sounds like you need to do it quickly as the problem would be if you were stopped by the gendarmes.

ps this is the french government site and not what should happen in 24 site

Actually if you buy from a large main dealership they should sort out the carte gris for you. Usually they give you a document to prove you are the new owner and the carte gris is in the pipe line. Show this to the cops if stopped. In 15 days (longer in August) go along to your Prefecture and walla there should be the new carte gris waiting for you.