is it possible to scrap a uk registered vehicle in France?

Katieb

We have a very old vehicle still registered in the UK ( we have only been here for 7 weeks) and the brakes (pads and discs) are in urgent need of repair. The car was only purchased for £300 2 months ago so we are reluctant to get it repaired at a garage (and it is a Saab which may proove tricky) and are not too happy about driving it back to the UK to be scrapped in its condition. My husband has ordered some new brake pads but is unable to get the wheel off and needs a mechanics assistance. Are we able to scrap the vehicle here if it is not French registered and then advise DVLA it has been scrapped?

Thanks for any input.

Kate

When you see the condition of some of the UK reg vehicles left at Rodez airport this would seem to be the answer. I know that YOU would not do this of course nor would you complete the sold portion of yr logbook before abandoning the Saab in a car park or hedgerow. (Not that I condone such behaviour).

John

definitely not

[quote]We have a very old vehicle still registered in the UK ( we have only been here for 7 weeks) and the brakes (pads and discs) are in urgent need of repair. The car was only purchased for £300 2 months a...[/quote]

Just take it, with the V5 to your local Casse Auto (see yellow pages) they should take it off your hands.

Complete the appropriate past of the logbook & send it to Swansea.

Or dump it.

And the appropriate part of a V5c to fill in and send back is the export slip.

Or, if the nuts are too tight go along to your local second hand tyre place and get the guy to loosen them with his impact wrench. I know the guy in Montluçon and he wouldn't charge more than 10 euros for freeing a couple of wheels. Might be a bit more in a higher rent area though.

Kate, I'm sure you won't have any problems. We had a similar situation last year with an old car of my son's. The car would go and wasn't worth repairing. We phoned the local "casse auto", told them where it was and that there was a photocopy of the registration document in the glove box. A few days later the car disappeared and we didn't hear any more - we weren't even sent an invoice which was a surprise. I returned the V5 to the DVLA in Swansea having ticked both the "scrapped" and "exported" box. I e-mailed them a couple of months later to be certain that it was OK, and they replied confirming the car had been deleted from their records so no risk of being done for unpaid road tax !

If the car was only bought a couple of months ago it will have a new V5c which has 3 tearoff slips at the back one for notification of export, the new keeper supplement and one for transfer to a motor trader who can be a scrappy or an insurance company in the case of a write off. Private, unlicensed individuals are no longer allowed to scrap and dismantle vehicles you have to go to a licenced scrappy now and you have to fill a box in on the tearoff with the scrappys details including VAT number and a French scrappy will only have a TVA number so best to have it as exported 

• 2 weeks later...