CAR BATTERIES

chirpy

WHAT DO YOU NEED AS MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR DIESEL 2.2 AUTOMATIC ESTATE CITROEN C5? THE BATTERY IS NEARLY 4 YEARS OLD AND IS THIS A NORMAL LIFE.?IS IT WORTH TRYING TO RECHARGE OR WILLIT JUST LET ME DOWN AGAIN?

AS YOU KNOW WHEN AN AUTO WILL NOT START YOU CANNOT DO A PUSH START .

AND WHEN IT HAPPENS ON A SUNDAY WHEN MOST GARAGES ARE CLOSED AND YOU HAVE 100 K.M. TO GET HOME YOU TEND TO BUY ANYTHING AS A GET YOU HOME MEASURE.

A JUML LEAD DID NOT WORK JUST SMOULDERED AS THE WIRE WAS LOOSE IN THE END CLIPS AND PERHPS NOT MAN ENOUGH FOR THE JOB. AS SECOND QUESION WHAT IS GOOD JUMP LEAD TO BUY.

STANGE TO SAY BUT THIS HAPPENED A DAY AFTER THE GARAGE HAD BEEN TRYING TO FIX A SATELITE NAVIGATION SYSTEM THAT THINKS THE CAR IS 850K.M. FROM WHERE IT IS PARKED.!!!!!!!!!!!!

WISHED I HAD JUST KEPT BUYING A NEW MAP EVERY 3 YEARS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWERS

AB

TAKE THE CAPS LOCK OFF, ITS AS IF YOU ARE SHOUTING YOUR QUESTIONS SLOWLY AND LOUDLY SO THAT WE CAN U-N-D-E-R-S-T-A-N-D YOU  

IF YOUR. BATTTERY........sorry,....... if your battery has screw tops for topping up, then check the water levels and top up if necessary with distilled water, then take it for a run of at least 3 Km's.  If it is sealed or you still have problems after topping up then take it to your local garage or battery/ tyre dealer and ask for it to be tested, sometimes the battery is OK and the alternator is the problem

"WHAT DO YOU NEED AS MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR DIESEL 2.2 AUTOMATIC ESTATE CITROEN C5? THE BATTERY IS NEARLY 4 YEARS OLD AND IS THIS A NORMAL LIFE.?IS IT WORTH TRYING TO RECHARGE OR WILLIT JUST LET ME DOWN AGAIN? "

I would always only replace a battery as per the manufacturer original specifactions if you want long service. Therefore look in your car manual for details. The life of a battery is dependent on many factors but my last car was 8 years old and I know the original battery  is still going strong. I have found that the cheaper batteries cost more in the long term with less reliability and shorter life.

"A JUMP LEAD DID NOT WORK JUST SMOULDERED AS THE WIRE WAS LOOSE IN THE END CLIPS AND PERHPS NOT MAN ENOUGH FOR THE JOB. AS SECOND QUESION WHAT IS GOOD JUMP LEAD TO BUY"

The problem with jump leads you do not know what vehicle you are going to receive the connection from (ie Car, Van, lorry etc). I would suggest using a heavy duty copper cable (25mm²) and fitted with heavy duty fully insulated clips as this would  deal with most situations. I always remember seeing a friend getting help from an electric milk float  using a poor quality lead, within seconds both the plastic covering and cabling had melted and a fire was only just prevented.

Baz

Hi

it sounds as if the garage has somehow left the new equipment permanently turned on, thus flattening the battery.

This year, a colleague changed a 12 year old battery on his Volvo. It had been holding its charge over winter and restarting in spring until this year (the car is left outdoors over winter).

Peter

I always think that if a car is ued as normal and the battery then fails it is of no use charging the battery (obviously unless there are maintenance needs as outlined by Ron) it is time for a new battery.

Batteries come in different amperages for a given case size - I ould tend to fit the best you can afford, especially when it is on an automatic.

Likwise the jump leads - go for heavy duty ones. Some I have seen are only man enough to power a set of fairy lights. Starting current will be several hundred amps so you need something beefy.