Classic Cars

P

We run a Reliant Scimitar GT6A 1978 vintage. We often have classic car runs past our campsite, seems to be mainly MGB, TR6, Jags etc. Most villages have an annual fete and we were invited by a chap who saw our car in a supermarket car park to take the Scimi to the 'exposition de voitures de collection' at their annual fete. Only two UK cars there a Morris Minor and ours, lost of other elderly Panhards, Citroens, Mercs etc but ours drew the biggest crowds. Unlike UK shows, all vehicles took part in a 70Km parade round all the hamlets of the commune and people came out of their houses to applaud the cavalcade - we were even given a free lunch for taking part (including wine!!).

There are classic car clubs in most parts of France, Your local Mairie can probably point you to one or there is a magazine called, if memory serves 'Benzine'. www.leschenauds.com

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I was very interested t read that you are running an SE6 in France, I have recently sold a 1978 SE6A I ran for twenty-three years and in it's place I bought a 1981 GTC. We are hoping to retire to France in a coiple of years and want to take the Scimitar with us bu have heard so many horror stories about registering vehicles in France, particularly those that were never sold in France.  How does one go about gettin a CofC for the car?  What other documentation is required?

I would be grateful if you could help with any of these items.

You can contact me direct if you wish on [email protected]

a bientot,

Matthew Robson

There is a 1979 GTE for sale in the Janaury issue of Retroviseur at Eurus 8,500.  Main problems seem to be with grey Japenesse imports via UK or Ireland. French importers are actively hostile and will detail in full all areas in which car fails to meet specefication for European C of C.  Neighbours who speak very little French pushed an E-type, originally registered in Japan but purchased in New Zealand, through to full registration.  US classic cars also frequently come in so it is possible.