Liquid conversant required!

In view of an impending drought, I have installed a large plastic rain collecting water tank on the side of my house measuring 1100 x 900 x 900 mm. which I discovered in the shed when I purchased our house. I have connected it to the downpipe coming down from my roof.

I have tried to work out the capacity in litres or gallons, but each time I seem to come up with a different answer. I would really appreciate someone putting me right on this.

Lautrec.

:O Thanks for your imput. Now that you have put it in print, it is obvious that the tank is approx. one square meter, which equals 1000 litres, or about 225 gallons.

Has just started raining here in Nanteuil and I have checked that the tank is almost half full already. Let the hosepipe ban come - I am not worried any more! 

Lautrec

[quote]: O Thanks for your imput. Now that you have put it in print, it is obvious that the tank is approx. one square meter, which equals 1000 litres, or about 225 gallons. Has just started raining here ...[/quote]

Actually - and this could be critical - it is 810L or 178 imperial gallons.

Sorry. Pedant? not me!

Now, if you could keep watering your apple trees, then turn it into an equivalent amount of cider.....

Does anyone know if you can still buy those "diverter thingies", the ones that connect to the downpipe and run rainwater into the tank until it's full, then diverts it away down the soakaway/drain so the tank doesn't just overflow everywhere?

Alcazar

Well spotted Mysfloss. I couldn't find one of those things locally in Ruffec. So Alcazar you have the answer to your query. Pay 24 Euros or make your own like I did for 8 Euros. It only took 10 minutes work with a hacksaw to complete the project!

Thank you everyone. Lautrec.