Q- plate queery

pedrobewan

I bought a Q- plate van to get our gear over to France and have hit a hurdle with the registration of the vehicle to a French plate. The manufacturer will not issue a C. O. C. and the "service de min" will not issue the van with another chassis number without all the receipts for all modified parts which I don't have.

The van is a great runner, has passed the C.T. and it seems a shame to have to dump it just because I can't provide the relevant authorities with the "relevant" pieces of paper.

I've heard of someone who allegedly got "valid" insurance for more than the normally alloted three months from somewhere but I can't get any further than that.

any ideas anyone?

From earlier posts on this site the issue of insurance for a UK reg vehicle which you cannot/do not re-reg in France seems a grey area. You would be able to obtain a French policy but many companies appear to do this on the basis of "re-reg en route" so it looks as if the only way to check the legality and  worth of such a policy would be to make a claim after an incident, which could be too late.

Perhaps you should find another Brit and offload the problem, remember "caveat emptor".

John

not

Q-platers are a nightmare. In theory, you can get a French equivilent of the UK SVA, via the DRIRE ("Sunday Driver", for example will tell you how), negating the need for a C-of-C. However, I have tried, and know several others who have tried and know noone who has succeeded! It would also be very expensive. Then, once you have registered your van (presumeably RHD) here, it will become worthless! Perhaps it would be better to "send it home".

Thanks for your comments folks.

Expense is the big issue here,  hence the purchase of a Q-plate in the first place.

It just seems a shame (as I said before ) that a "good runner" Can't be run just because of bureaucratic paperwork!

Anybody need a van for spares?

Am I allowed to put that in a forum? If not "I'm only kidding ".

Honest.