Recommendations for car insurance please . . .

chocccie

I need to arrange some French insurance for my car (registered in France and with French plates).  Both of us have British licenses (one a pink European license, the other an old style paper one).

Would anybody recommend an insurance company geared towards those who can stretch to conversational French, but going through an insurance quote would be beyond (ie, with English speaking staff!!)

I used my bank, and as they're all English, there was no problem. (CA Paris).They'll give you a quote by email. You'll need to get hold of your no claims certificate from your previous insurance as soon as possible (you have one month to provide it from when the new insurance is issued)

Choccie

Sorting out a french insurance quote is simple.  Pop into your local insurance offices and ask them for a "devis assurance voiture".

Show them your carte grise, driving licences and NCB letter.

They'll want to know how long you've been driving (it's on your licence), the details of the car (it's on your carte grise), how many "sinistres" (accidents) in the last five years (your NCB letter is proof).

Fully comprehensive is "toutes risques".  Monthly payment is "mensuel".

Policies come with breakdown cover (over 30kms from home) and you can opt for 0km (eg homestart) for an additional small premium.

And that's about it. When you find the quote that suits you best, you sign the contract, give them an RIB for the monthly premiums and walk out with your new green certificate of assurance.

Try it.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Policies come with breakdown cover (over 30kms from home) and you can opt for 0km (eg homestart) for an additional small premium.

[/quote]

With CA, you get Okm breakdown cover with no extra charge.