Pest control

We bought one of these here in a French brico store as our house was infested with loir (Glis glis or edible dormouse, cute but can do a lot of damage to a property) in the wall spaces and between the ceilings and floors. After some research on the net and our own experience I have come to the conclusion that they are not that effective. People that sell them make all sorts of claims and say they are wonderful but then they would! Independent folk like Uni research labs tend to agree with me but others may not. It makes a repetitive clicking noise but there is supposed to be an ultrasonic component present as well. We caught 21 loir the year before last and 11 last year and released them into the woods some kilometres away. Prior to being caught in a humane rat trap the noises at night would indicate that they were not too worried by the squeaks emitted by the plug in box. This year, touche du bois, no loir in evidence so far...............John

We have a plug in noise emitting mouse scarer and I was quite surprised to see a mouse sitting on it whilst it was working! Now I know someone will answer this and make out that I'm barking mad but I read somewhere that if you have a cat you should brush it and collect all the loose hairs then scatter them around and you will not suffer with mice again, every time we pack up and come home I now leave cat hairs in little clumps around the house and the mice seem to have moved out.

When in the U.K. we used to have a problem with deer coming into the garden and eating the runner beans. An old barber I used to see gave me a bag of human hair swept off his barber shop floor and told me to tie it in bunches to the beanpoles and along the boundary fence. A bit like Injun's scalps hanging from their teepees.  Seems deer hate the smell of human hair. Well I was a bit sceptical but gave it a try and guess what, it works very well so cat hair may have the same effect on mice! I seem to remember something about lion droppings being used, obtained from a safari park. What would that frighten off I wonder, just about everything I guess, well maybe not mice as we all know that lions are frightened of them! Maybe that should be elephants. I think that I should go and sit down for a bit.....................John not Jackie

No need to shave the cat , a quick run over with a comb or brush produces copious amounts of hair, particularly at this time of the year. One thing about having hard floors rather than fitted carpets you can see the damned stuff all over the place. I am sure simply the scent of a cat puts rodents off.

As for the noise emitting things - a complete waste of time in my experience.

Liz (29)

[quote]No need to shave the cat , a quick run over with a comb or brush produces copious amounts of hair, particularly at this time of the year. One thing about having hard floors rather than fitted carpet...[/quote]

I agree with what everyone else has said about the sonic mouse scarers! We bought a daffy of them from Band Q and they were not much use. The answer is to block all the  gaps around pipes, the holes at the back of kitchen units and the gaps under doors etc etc. We have two, exceedingly ancient, house cats who were literally terrified when a French mouse invaded the lounge. It was all very amusing as Rotten and Bad sat either side of me on the sofa and watched this cocky, little character tear into the centre of the room, then see us and zoom back to safety under the dresser!