A28 Autoroute

It appears that the A28 from Le Mans to Tours is now open, can anyone confirm this?

Also is there a service station (or an aire) near the start at Rouen?  For a breakfast stop following an overnight ferry to Le Havre.

And can anyone comment on the section of N road from Tours to Chateauroux compared to the Evreux (via Chatres) to J12 of the A10 near Orleans section?  We are thinking of using the new A28 to get to Limousin from Le Havre rather than Rouen, Evreux, Chatres, A10.

Thanks

Hi Russell

The A28 between us at Alençon and Rouen opened last October.  It cuts an hour off the journey time to Rouen.  There's a service station opening somewhere between Rouen and Alençon but I gather it doesn't have full facilities yet.  The Tours - Ecommoy section that you're asking about opened in December ahead of schedule. 

Here's the new map: www.cofiroute.fr/cofiroute.nsf/web/a28.htm

I swear by www.viamichelin.com for route planning.

Phil

Recently round Le Mans there have been some bits coned-off to single lane (unsure about it at the present time). Am told the coned off sections are popular for speed traps (though again, no personal experience of these yet).

Ian

• 2 months later...

Go to: www.alis-sa.com/pdf/4pages.pdf .   and look at page 2 of the document  

This shows the location of the aires on the A28, all of which are pretty basic so if you're looking for one with all mod cons or a resto, you'll be disappointed. It saves us an hour on our old journey using the Dreux/Evereux/Chartres route. We usually skirt Rouen via the airport side of the river and stop for something to eat/rink at the huge centre commercial at Tourville la Riviere.

Aire de la Dentelle d'Alencon is fully open (our first stop there was in early April).  It has fuel, food outlets and a shop.  It even has an eau de cologne dispenser in the gents next to the hand dryer. [:)]

Aire des Haras will be full service but is not yet operational, although there is a portacabin there which is sometimes open for coffee. No fuel available yet.

The other aires are just parking and loos.

The two viaducts at the north end of the A28 both have fixed radars on approach.

Hi SD

I quite agree but it's not always possible to see the very large signs erected on the nearside of the road.

As an example we were driving north towards Bordeaux on the A10 earlier this year when returning from Spain. The road is dual carriageway and almost motorway standard. The speed limit is 110kph. In a couple of spots near bends the limit is reduced to 90kph. There are certain sections where lorries are banned from overtaking so you often get a long line of lorries in the inside lane which can easily prevent you from seeing these large signs.

The radar camera however is situated in the central reservation with a clear view of any vehicle in both lanes.

Having been fined 45 € last year for my first ever motoring offence (for which I had been caught) I now use the cruise control all the time.

Benjamin

[quote user="Russell 23"] 

I too, use viamichelin, but I cannot get it to use the A28 as a route.

[/quote]

Make sure that you have not got ViaMichelin options set to avoid péages/tolls.  I have a load of routes from Channel ports on our website that link to ViaMichelin and those that pass near Rouen all pick up the A28 to Alençon. 

I don't list any routes from Tours to us so I'm not sure whether maybe this is the section you mean ViaMichelin is missing?