South Deux-Sevres to Murcia (Es)

thunderhorse

Last time I did it, I went to Cartagena, towing a caravan.

We went via Perigueux, Bergerac, Marmande, Aire sur l'Adour, Pau, Oloron St Marie, Somport pass, Jaca, Huesca, picked up the Spanish autoroute at or near Lerida, then Tarragona, Valencia, Alicante, Murcia.

It was a pain in Spain[:D], as the Spaniards seemed to do the opposite of the French, and build all the OUT OF CITY sections of the autoroute first, THEN put in the "ring roads" to avoid the city. We queued for hours to get through Valencia, and Alicante, to name but two.

The coastal motorway is finished now, though, so no probs, other than holiday traffic.

If you don't fancy the bit in France, you might be as quick going Bordeaux, Biarritz, then picking up the Spanish autoroute and heading for Pamplona, then as above. Cost more in tolls, and a bit further though. The French route I suggested is not that bad really, used to be a "Route Bis".

Alcazar

Starting from just south of Saintes we did the Biarritz, Pamplona, Valencia, Alicante ---etc in our camper in Feb this year. No problems and there seemed to be lots of motorway sections fairly recently completed in Spain. Have you tried the viamichelin website for a route?

I used to live in Murcia [:D]

I can't speak for the French section of your journey, but for the Spanish section, the coastal road will do you fine. I used to take the coach to and from the UK at times as it was often dirt cheap, and there never seemed to be any serious problems. Left Murcia a good 5 years ago so things could've changed!

Whereabouts you going? Murcia city or somewhere else in the region? You're going to have a great time - I'm sure you already know that they know how to do a good party there!

I've done all of the routes already posted (and then some) and our prefered route now is Biarritz into Spain. Just after San Sebastian turn for Vitoria/Gasteiz then Burgos. Straight down to Madrid and use the outer ring road heading for Valencia. Peel off for Alicante and then peel off for Murcia and then hit the A7.

It's all motorway and pretty boring. The upside is that apart from the French side and the A8 as you cross the border and a small toll section between Vitoria and Burgos (don't get tempted to stay on the non toll road as it's an absolute pain) it's entirely FREE!!!!!!!!

It's as quick or as slow as you want to make it. We used to live near Mojacar (a bit further south than Murcia). What's made the difference in recent years is the completion of the Murcia motorway after you peel off the Alicante motorway.

Hope that helps.

Benjamin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In December 05 we did the France/Barcelona/Alicante route as described (in our aging Hymercamp) and as someone said in a reply it was BORING, but it got the job done (although we somehow ende up driving through the centre of Alicante at some point! A word of caution though, the service areas on this section are notorious for thefts from cars/vans and campers, particularly on night stops - so BEWARE!

We came back via the Biarritz route and I have to say that the journey through the Basque was the best we'd had in Spain, great scenery and good stopping places that felt safe

we did the same trip last year & all I can say is beg, borrow or steal a sat-nav device (tom-tom , harman etc).

we followed a mappy.com route down which was ok &  took 12 or 13 hours, with me doing all the driving & I was shattered. Arrange a stop over half way down if you can. It will make a long journey more bearable and give you time to enjoy the scenery ( oh those wonderful wind farms! [;-)])

Coming back we listened to friends advice about coming back a different way & got so badly lost round Madrid I still wonder to this day how we didn't kill each other!![:D]