Selling car in France

windowman

I've hopefully sold my car & was wondering if there was anything specific I had to do apart from mark on the carte grise.  I bought the car over here and don't remember any other forms being given to me, but a friend mentioned I had to send forms to the French eqivalent of the DVLA, and give forms to the new owner.

Can anyone advise? 

You can download the form off the internet.  I can't remember the website address, but I'm sure Sunday Driver will know it.  If he doesn't post it here within an hour or two I'll be surprised, but you will probably be able to find it by doing a search on the forum.

It will help the buyer to get the car registered to them if you sell it with a CT less than 6 months old.  In fact, it might put them completely off the sale if you haven't got this.

Patrick

What about the Certificat de non gage (now called the certificat de situation administrative

now I believe) with any car sold ? It must be a Cert de Non Gage less than a month old as well.

http://www.interieur.gouv.fr/sections/a_votre_service/vos_demarches/vehicules/telecartegrise_particuliers

When selling a French car, these are the following responsibilites:

The seller:

- Marking the carte grise as sold

- Sending the certificat de cession to the prefecture.

Either the seller or the buyer:

- Obtaining a certificate de situation/non-gage

- Obtaining a CT certificate not more than six months old.

In practice, the seller would normally provide the non-gage and a new CT (if the old one is out of date) as part of the deal, but it's not obligatory.

Now for the way we actually do it, with regard to the regulations, which being in France etc....................

We always sell a motor with a Cert de Non Gage for the very reason we

would not buy a car without one. A bit late too worry about problems with

finance etc once it is bought. Same as in the UK, we never bought

without an HPI check and always offered it on to the new buyer.

We also always cut off  the corner from the Carte grise as well.

We buy cars without CT's or with short C.T's but of course to

re-register, one will need a current CT and the rules state less than 6

months old but................we have had several change hands with

less than that !!

Windowman

You know you haven't any finance on the car - and I believe you [;-)] -  but the buyer doesn't know that.  As Miki says, that's why it's so important to check before handing over any dosh.

Getting one is no problem - you can apply on line [url=http://www.interieur.gouv.fr/rubriques/b/b8_teleservices/new_telecarte_grise]HERE[/url] and print out the certificate to give to your buyer.  And unlike the UK HPI search, it's free.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Miki"]Now for the way we actually do it, with regard to the regulations, which being in France etc....................

We always sell a motor with a Cert de Non Gage for the very reason we would not buy a car without one. A bit late too worry about problems with finance etc once it is bought. Same as in the UK, we never bought without an HPI check and always offered it on to the new buyer.

We also always cut off  the corner from the Carte grise as well.

We buy cars without CT's or with short C.T's but of course to re-register, one will need a current CT and the rules state less than 6 months old but................we have had several change hands with less than that !!

[/quote]

Sorry but I'm not clear on this, are you saying that you can't register a car in your name if it has less than 18 months CT or am I missing something? I am selling a car with 6 months CT, won't the new owner be able to register it unless I get a new CT?

Under the regulations as they stand. To re-register a car, it must have a minimum of 18 months CT left to run.

If not, either the seller will go and get a new CT, which is probably

the more normal thing to do, as the prospective new owner will then

know a fair amount about the condition of the car. It can be sold with

less but the price may need to be adjusted to tempt a new buyer ! The

new buyer though, will need to get a new CT to enable him/her to

re-register the car in their name.

We have registered cars on occasion, on the off chance that it will go

through with less than the regulatory 18 months CT remaining but I

would never bank on this way of doing things.

I think the previous posting may have been misunderstood,  i.e less than 6 months, meaning less than 6 months to run not 18 months remaining.

I had understood that a car had to be sold with a minimum of 6 months controle technique to be registered by the new owner, if not it has to be sold "for spare parts only".

There is nothing to stop the new owner doing the necessary repairs, getting a C.T and then registering it.

Of course my mediocre French may mean that I misundersood and have posted rubbish (I am sure that I am not the first) so I wait to be corrected or confirmed by someone more knowledgable.

If you buy a car in France, you have to register it in your name in order to be able to drive it on the road.  In order to register it, you have to produce a CT certificate that is no more than six months old, ie the certificate must be dated no more than six months previously.

It doesn't matter who gets the CT done.  Normally, the seller will advertise the car as "CT OK" ie certificate less than six months old.

However, you can buy a car with an "old" CT or no CT at all, but then you can't register it (and therefore drive it) without getting a fresh CT done yourself.

• 4 weeks later...