Young drivers

mad mike

My 21 year old with just under 6 months to run on her "A" plates pays approx 950€ per year for her insurance on a 1.1L Pug 106 of 6 years old. For the first three years of the apprenticeship in France for new drivers, it starts off expensive unless you have done the Accompany Conduite system and then gets a little cheaper each year. Remember too that young drivers have six points already ontheir licences, have to drive at lower speeds and are bound by the engine size.

Mike

Looking at your profile, I suspect you've not been here long and that your son probably has a full category B UK licence.  If that's the case, then the French driving restrictions on new drivers that Val_2 mentioned won't apply to him.  That apart,  I think her 950 euros per year is probably a reasonably accurate figure for an inexperienced driver driving a low(ish)  powered older car.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Mike

Looking at your profile, I suspect you've not been here long and that your son probably has a full category B UK licence.  If that's the case, then the French driving restrictions on new drivers that Val_2 mentioned won't apply to him.  That apart,  I think her 950 euros per year is probably a reasonably accurate figure for an inexperienced driver driving a low(ish)  powered older car.

That was the cheapest only because we have two other vehicles with the same insurers. High street insurers in the local town wanted much more than that, bordering on 1050€ plus.

[/quote]

[quote user="Cassis"]In order to get insured here in France I had to lie about when I passed my test - the computer could not reconcile my age at passing the test as being 17.  Is the minimum 18 in France?
[/quote]

Interesting.  I'll have to do the same then unless the computer system I happen upon is a bit more flexible.  Don't like fibbing. [:$]