Number plate attachment to "light board" for trailer

Deimos

I'm sure I've read that there are strict rules about how your number plate is attached to the car (i.e. must me riveted and not screwed or bolted). Are there similar rules about attaching a number plate to a light board (for a light trailer - same number plate as the car). In the UK I used to just have two loops of shock cord so I could change number plates easily (like two large elastic bands) - would same be OK here or are things strict as for cars ?

Many thanks

Ian

Just screwed ours on at home!

Have been stopped and the gendarmes complained that there was no triangle on the light board (bought from Halfords) but didn't say anything about the numberplate fitting. (.....and at the time I think they were really going out of their way to find something wrong with me (they'd gone through my work docs, driving docs, driving license and number of marriages!!), the car or the trailer so were being picky!).

Code de la route R317-8

Plaques et inscriptions:

All motor vehicles must be fitted with front and rear number plates that are immovable.

Trailers over 500kg which require their own registration number must be fitted with a rear number plate which is immovable.

Light trailers (under 500kg) must be fitted with a rear number plate which reproduces the registration number of the towing vehicle.  This plate does not have to be immovable.

Trailers being towed by motorcycles only require a rear plate reproducing the bike's registration number if the dimensions of the trailer or it's load are such that the towing bike's plate is not visible to an observer viewing the ensemble from the rear.

And 'immovable' = 'riveted', is that right?

But for a light trailer it sounds as if the old bungee straps would do as long as they do not obstruct the numbers?

I wonder what actually passes as a rear number plate - I often see trailers with bits of cardboard with felt tip pen numbers scrawled on for number plates.

Immovabilty is not specifically defined, but it probably means incapable of being easily removed, eg by a screwdriver.

There is no officially approved method of attaching non-immovable plates, so I guess bungees will suffice if, as you say, they dont obstruct the number.

The standard approved format of number plates is set out in the Arrêté dated 1 July 1996  (NOR : EQUS9600829A).  This specifies the use of the correct reflective materials as well as the dimensions and spacing of characters and digits.  Non compliant vehicles may be subject to immobilisation - towed away to the police pound.

Trailers less than 500kg are allowed to display smaller plates if required.

For what it is worth which is not much.

When I moved department it took under 23 seconds to switch plates on the car using a battery driven drill and a rivet gun.

Local 'shoe shop' which cut new plates advised that there were no problems using bungee cord for attaching number to a trailor or cycle board. For a car it must be permenantly attached

Many thanks. When I used to use shock cord "elastic bands" the boat was being trailed by different cars on different occasions. Less likely these days but the method worked well so I will almost certainly use it again (as it is allowed).

Also checked with my insurance the other day and whilst they used to require a towing ball to be removed when not in use, seems they have recently worked out that this is not too practical so no longer require this. I know a couple of years ago a claim was refused when a towing ball was "involved" because the ball should have been removed (not me, nor do I know the insurance company but it was the person who was told he "was not covered" as he had not remove his tow ball that told me about it).

Ian