Lost Licence - What to do?

[quote user="Wils"]DVLA will not be in the slightest bit interested, I

know from expierience. Once they know you are out of the UK they wash

their hands of you completely as they can't make any money from you.

[/quote]

Well, I've passed on SD's advice and I shall now watch with interest. I'll report back when I hear something.

This happened to me (actually my driving licence and passport were both stolen from my jacket while working on site) and the DVLA were really helpful.

They supplied me with an attestation, I can't remember how much it cost but wasn't much, which arrived within about a week.

Meanwhile my licence had expired by 2 days and the prefecture made me have a medical  examination (about 24 euros) just to check that I was still fit to drive. Received attestation from doctor and took it along with 2 photos and attestation from DVLA to the prefecture and voila, French driving licence!

By the way, you must apply to the DVLA in writing, can't be done over the phone. I phoned them and they dictated a letter for me to send along with my cheque.

Hope your friend gets sorted out,

Aly

Bad news is the offence is still on record.  If you are resident here and you rack up more than a couple of points then you may find they force you to change your licence for a French one so they can formalise things.  You are only entitled to hang on to your UK licence as long as you do not commit any traffic offences - the police may give a one or two point leeway, at their discretion, but rarely more.  Be careful!

[quote user="Cassis"]Bad news is the offence is still on record.  If you are resident here and you rack up more than a couple of points then you may find they force you to change your licence for a French one so they can formalise things.  You are only entitled to hang on to your UK licence as long as you do not commit any traffic offences - the police may give a one or two point leeway, at their discretion, but rarely more.  Be careful!

[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

Do they recoed offences for 3 years like the UK or is it indefinate.?

I don't know the answer to that, Tim.  SD probably does.

I have had 2 one point speeding offences here.  So far have not been asked to surrender the licence.  Others on the forum have not been so lucky in the same circs.  I am now very circumspect.  However, I gather changing licence is not a big deal if it comes down to it.

There is no mechanism for recording "points" offences against non-French driving licences.  The French database doesn't have that kind of facility - yet!  That's why you have to exchange in order to have them deducted.

It does seems to be frequent practice to waive a single point, although I suspect it's down to the individual officer as to whether or not he chases you for a licence exchange. 

Remember also that they are introducing new rules whereby single point offences will be spent after 12 months, providing no further infringments occur during that period.  This is in recognition that a one-off error of judgement/control is not a hanging offence and that normally prudent drivers should not be punished disproportionately.

[quote user="Tim_Quincaillerie"][quote user="Cassis"]Bad news is the offence is still on record.  If you are resident here and you rack up more than a couple of points then you may find they force you to change your licence for a French one so they can formalise things.  You are only entitled to hang on to your UK licence as long as you do not commit any traffic offences - the police may give a one or two point leeway, at their discretion, but rarely more.  Be careful!

[/quote]

Thanks for the info.

Do they recoed offences for 3 years like the UK or is it indefinate.?

[/quote]

Yes, most infringement points stay on for 3 years, as from the other week, I now am back to having maximum 12 points for the first time in ages !!  As SD has stated, single point penalties will soon be one year only (under certain conditions).