Paperwork for Driving licence application

northernlad

If you have a UK licence, then it is valid for driving in France.  It is only obligatory to exchange it for a French one if you have committed a traffic offence involving withdrawal of the licence, suspension or deduction of points.

However, you may apply to your prefecture for a voluntary exchange, in which case you need to provide the following:

- formulaire de demande d'échange de permis de conduire (exchange licence application form)

- two recent photographs

- the original UK driving licence (it will be sent back to the DVLA)

- passport

- proof of address (utility bill)

- fee

My husband changed his licence last week in St Lô, he had no problem at all, however as well as the paperwork " sunday driver " said to take, he was also asked to provide a copy of his passport and carte vitael, also a stamped self addressed envelope, he had no fee to pay. 

If that is your only reason to change you don't need to.  My licence has an address where I have not lived for 5 years and I often hire cars.  I just give my French address and always carry proof of it - the ubiquitous EDF bill or something similar.  Never had any problems and apparently it is (oddly) perfectly legal.

Maggi

• 2 weeks later...

You can always take the easy way out.

We went to the Marie.  Filled out the form, they copied our passport and Tax de Habitaion and gave us a copy of our driving license.  Two weeks later the French licenses came through the post.

Simple realy.  Don't need to turn it into a problem.