Demande d'information - Taxe d' habitation

We have just received (via Bangkok would you believe) a form from the local Centre des Impots which I gather must be a standard form to help assess what type of taxe d'habitation should be applied to our house.

There are a number of options:

• Principle residence (non)
  • Residence secondaire uniquement (think so)
  • Location a l'anne (it is not for hire all year round)

plus a number of other options that they would like us to tick against.

The next two options confuse me as if either of these are ticked i must provide a copy of my attestation to the Commissariat de Police, they are:

• Le logement etait il vide de meubles au 1st Jan 2005 (I gather this is was the property unfurnished on the 1st)
  • Avez-vous effectue des travaux dans ce logement (have we worked on the house - I think)

I have two questions to ask.

1. As we still live in the UK and only use the house when working on it (at the moment) are we obliged to tick more than one box i.e. Second home, no furniture on the 1st of January and working on the house (mainly decoration at this time)?

2. Why if the last two boxes are ticked do we need to provide a copy of the attestation to the commissariat?

My understanding (though possibly flawed) is that if we are not living in the house and not renting or letting it out then we would not need to pay the taxe d'habitation.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Regards,

Mike

www.peak-times.com

Although the name implies it's an 'inhabitation' tax, ie you inhabit the place you still have to pay it even if, as in this case it's a Maison Secondaire. Never heard of the bit about furniture, but the work done on the house will only have to be declared if you've put new windows in or created new rooms - to the best of my knowledge.

If you have only to do decorating, it sounds as if the house is in a habitable state, so I fear you will have to pay whatever they ask for a residence secondaire.  It just might make a difference (though don't count on it) if it is totally unfurnished - but if you have enough furniture to sleep on and eat off then I guess this is not the case.

I'll just sound a word of warning, incidentally,  about possible confusion between habitable and inhabitable in the two languages:

habité, in French, means INhabited in English.

inhabité, in French means UNINhabited in English. 

Angela