Cancelling insurance on a car I don't have

Le_Jars

In September 2005 I wanted to take my camper to the UK to sell it (it

had already been 'sold' theoretically) and I asked my insurance company

how best to do this. It wasn't insured with this company (or any other

as it was off the road) at the time, so they suggested insuring it for

a month, then cancelling it after a month when it was no longer mine.

This sounded reasonable to me so that's what happened. A while ago I

noticed they were still taking money from my account for this insurance

and I queried it (obviously). They then said the person that had

suggested I insure it for a month had no right to do this.This person

has since left (annoyingly).

Now they are saying that if I can't prove that I actually sold it, they

will carry on insuring it! I just can't believe this! I could get a

signed letter from the people who bought it, but would they really take

that as evidence? I could stop them taking out any more money from my

account, or close it, yes, but then wouldn't they pursue me for 'monies

owed'

If anyone has any bright suggestions please help.[:(]

My insurance says that if I sell the car, I'm supposed to send them the insurance certificate back together with a registered letter saying the vehicule has been sold and the cover will cease the following day.

I scrapped a car 18 months ago and advised them by email, then followed with a letter containing a copy of the registration paper marked véhicule détruit and a copy of the letter to the Préfecture.

They cancelled the cover straight away and confirmed.

Yes, in hindsight I would have thought to be more thorough (them being

an insurance company), but I foolishly assumed they'd just do as they

promised and cancel it after a month. It was UK camper, bought in the

UK that I'd had for about 5 years by the way, not an french one.

As long as you insured it in France, it's irrelevant.

I cannot think of anything that will compell them to stop collecting (or pay anything back), except for the certificate if you still have it. Have they told you what they require?

Maybe Sunday Driver will have a suggestion...

LJ

It sounds as if you took out this insurance policy for the camper on the understanding that the company would cancel it for you after one month. What you should have done (per Bjsliv) was to have notified them yourself of the cancellation by registered letter.

In France, continuous insurance cover is compulsory, even if the vehicle is kept off the road.  Normally, you would supply them with a copy of the cancelled carte grise or the certificat of cession as proof of sale, but as your's was not a French registered van, then this won't apply.  What you could do is to ask the new owner to send you a copy of his new V5C (showing your name as the previous keeper) and attach it to your formal cancellation letter.

PS:  I'm assuming you mean the policy commenced in September 2006, not 2005......

"In France, continuous insurance cover is compulsory" - if that's the case, what is the point of a renewal notice?

Don't you think I've been on to them about this before then? If

insurance companies were reasonable and vaguely responsible I wouldn't

be on here with a question like this would I?

The point of a renewal notice is that it advises you that your fixed term contract is due for renewal.  At this point, you may exercise your rights and cancel the policy within a short period of it's expiry date and go and get insured elsewhere. If you do not cancel, then under consumer law, the policy is considered a "tacit renewal" and you are obliged to continue with it.

Sorry, but you originally said you'd noticed "a while ago" -  the September 2005 date was confusing, that's why I mentioned it for clarification.

LJ - you are not on here with a question like this because insurance companies are unreasonable and irresponsible.  They issue policies in accordance with their terms and conditions and consumer law and it's up to the policyholder to abide by them.  The problem has arisen because you clearly weren't aware of the correct procedure for cancellation.

Now that it's been explained, you can sort it out.[:)]

My brokers way of interpreting "issued in accordance with consumer law" is to send out the renewal notification one month after it was printed and two days after the expiry of the policy!

Still we have kissed and made up now and thanks to SD's help he now has a copy of the Loi Chatel to refer to, not that it will make any differnce at all!