Child Booster Seats?

thepoms

Hello all,

I am about to move over to France and was wondering if there are any laws regarding children having to use a booster seat similar to those introduced recently in the UK?

Also are there any rules regarding young children travelling in the front passenger seat - I have a two seat sports car?

Thanks in advance [:)]

Andy Pom

I have established that children must travel in the rear until aged 10 and presume that if you don't have a rear (eg two seat sports car) then children are precluded from travelling in it at all until aged 10.  Does anyone know any different or is that the end of my plan to enjoy a two seater!? [8-)]

The old thread mentioned by Clair contains a link to the following legal extract:

Code de la route Art R412-3

I. - The transport of a child under ten years of age in the front seat of a motor vehicle is prohibited, except in one of the following cases:
1° When the child is transported in an approved rear facing seat especially designed to be installed in front of the vehicle and the front air bag is deactivated;
2° When the vehicle does not comprise a back seat or if the back seat is not equipped with a safety belt;
3° When the back seats of the vehicle are temporarily unusable or are occupied by children under ten years of age, provided that each transported child is retained by a system envisaged to II of article R. 412-2.
II. - Any driver contravening the provisions of this article is liable to a class four penalty.

Thanks Sunday Driver, I missed that mainly I have to admit, because my French isn't too hot.  I've re-followed the link and as you show in line 2 it would appear that if a car isn't fitted with rear seats than carrying a child is allowed.  That's a relief [:)] I'll have to make a note of the clause and carry it with me in case I get stopped!