200cc 1962 James registration & licence requirements?

just john

200cc 1962 James registration & licence requirements?

[:D]Hi,
I know it's not a giant killer but I intend to bring my James out to 16 to pop around on,
being a bit old, (the bike!) what's the procedure for immatriculation? does any one have any info on insurance?.
What is the licence requirements for a 200cc bike out here?
I have a full UK licence for bike but my son only has a car licence, since we intend to use the bike for whoever hasn't taken the car we had hoped to be able to both use it subject obtaining the relevant licence does know what we need?

John & Sue

[8-|]

Do one thing everyday that scares you, but don't forget the sunscreen

John

You won't get type approval for the James in France, so you'll have to get it registered under a "carte grise collection" (classic car/bike registration).

You need to apply to the [url=http://www.ffve.org]Federation Francaise des Vehicules d'Epoche[/url] for an technical attestation that you can use to get it registered.  Other than that, it's the same process for any other car/bike.  Downside is, you'll be limited to riding in your own and neighbouring departments, although from what you say, that shouldn't be a big deal.

Classic bike insurances are available - google "assurance moto collection" or check out the various French classic bike club websites.

Licence requirements are the same as in the UK.  Your category A licence entitles you to ride a 200cc bike, but if your son only has the car (category B) then he can't ride it unless he takes the "big" bike test.

[:D] Sunday Driver to the rescue again. Thanks a bunch,

I've been on the site and just about understood that a pdf of the form is available to download, but 'stumbled and fell' and was unable to find the relevant heading to get the form,
any idea which headings I should follow?

Thanks also for the licence info, Does this mean there is a category of bike/scooter that can be ridden on a car licence?

Once again many thanks for sharing your knowledge.

John & Sue[8-|]

Read the directions, even if you don’t (can't) follow them.

Check out the [url=http://www.ffve.org/component/option,com_docman/task,cat_view/gid,21/]telechargement page[/url] and click on "Dossier de carte grise de collection" to download the pdf file.

The UK car licence covers riding a 50cc moped and includes provisional entitlement for category A1 (bikes up to 125cc).  However, this provisional entitlement is not valid outside the UK.

Holders of a French category B licence for more than two years can have category A1 added to their licence without having to take a test.  

[:D]Thanks again SD

Why was I under the impression that small scooters/bikes had simpler terms of use in France than the UK, it seems pretty much the same? I guess that licences are for residents only and as someone with a second home here these are not available?

John & Sue

[8-|]

The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday. Trust me on the suncreen.

Thread hijack alert...

Ahem: A mate of mine has a Triumph 750 (or thereabouts) from the early 70's (I believe) and has the english registration document etc.

Would you imagine that he needs to follow the above proceedure too?

Cheers,

Steve.

If your mate's Triumph 750 was ever commercially imported into France, then he will be able to obtain a type approval certificate from Triumph and therefore he will be able to register it under a normal carte grise.  If it wasn't, then the "collection" option would be the route to follow.

Best get him to contact Triumph in the first instance.