do i need french licence as well

mike151

Not if you have a "European" style licence, pink coloured with photo etc.

As your main residence is in Britain you need to have a British licence. If you move to France permanently you don't need to change if you have the above. There should be no problem with insurance.

Aly

[quote user="nicktrollope"]

No.

But you must have a French address to register car here - which I assume you must have, so I don't know why I mentioned it other than to make my reply to your posting a bit more long-winded whilst adding nothing to the brevity of the reply.

[/quote]

Now that I like.....................................[:D][:D][:D]

If you have a licence issued by an EU member state, then it is valid in all other EU member states, so you can drive in France on a UK licence.  All UK licences are valid for use in the EU, not just the pink photocard ones. 

As you have an address in France, you could apply to exchange your UK licence for a French one (if you wanted to go to all the unnecessary trouble!).  Your new French licence would then be valid for driving in the UK. 

However, in practical terms, prefectures are usually relucant to process unnecessary licence exchange requests given the administrative costs involved.

were getting greaf off the dvla, who are withholding our log book, till we have it checked out after it was written off for minor things, we can neather tax it or sorn it, & it is now in france, apparently its a new money making law recently introduced , for cars writ6en off which are uneconomic to repair. ps the cars only done 45k miles.

The DVLA procedures for dealing with write-off cars are well established, and contrary to being a new money making law, they are there to offer protection to any subsequent buyer.  Accident damaged vehicles are categorised according to the level of damage and require certification before the V5Cs can be released in order for them to be sold on. 

If I was buying your car, I'd want to make sure it had been properly repaired.  Think of it as consumer protection......[:)]

It seems that you brought the car over to France without its compulsory UK registration document (you can't legally drive it here without one) so it looks like you'll have to take it back to the UK to get the DVLA inspection done....[:(]

THE REASON I THOUGHT IT WAS A NEW LAW WAS BECAUSE SOMEONE RAN INTO US THE PREVIOUS YEAR AS WELL & WROTE IT OFF BUT BECAUSE WE WERENT CHANGING THE OWNER WE DIDN'T HAVE TO SORT IT OUT PS [ CAR WAS IN WIFES NAME, I'M TRYING TO GET IT IN MINE] ANYWAY IVE JUST RUNG THEM & THEY'RE GIVING US FREE PASSAGE FROM THE PORT TO TESTING STATION.  THEIR LOSS, BECAUSE IT WONT BE GETTING TAXED TILL  I COME & GET IT & GET THE TEST PASSED, COULD BE  JUNE.

Actually, it is not to check that the car has been repaired properly (an MOT is all that is required to check road-worthiness) it is to check that it is the original car which has been repaired rather than another car which has had the identification swapped - in other words to establish that you haven't stolen a similar car and swapped the chassis number and reg no of the written off car to the stolen one.